PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Karmic Kernel 2.6.31-19

ratcheer
February 4th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I think this just came, today (I didn't see it, yesterday). How many of you are installing it? Is it working well?

Tim

wkulecz
February 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If its not tagged as a security update, I'd ignore it unless your system is just for playing around with and you don't suffer if it stops working.

I'll install it next time I boot 9.10 as my 9.10 system is just to give me a heads up as to major differences to expect in 10.04 from 8.04, OTOH 7.10 left me rudely suprised by PulseAudio in 8.04 -- I had audio issues initially but updates eventually resolved them.

--wally.

ratcheer
February 4th, 2010, 05:42 PM
According to what I can determine on LaunchPad, it is a security update.

Tim

Enigmapond
February 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Why doesn't this show when I do an update in the terminal? I don't use update manager..in fact I deleted it as it was getting in the way.

oldos2er
February 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Give it some time to propagate to all the servers.

ratcheer
February 4th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Well, maybe I jumped the gun. While my package manager is picking up various parts of this new kernel (image, backports, etc), I cannot yet find the release of linux-meta which corresponds to it. So, it is probably too soon to install it.

Here is what I am finding as NEW packages in aptitude:

linux-headers-2.6.31-19-generic
linux-backports-modules-2.6.31-19-generic
linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.31-19-generic
linux-image-2.6.31-19-generic

Sorry,
Tim

PC_load_letter
February 5th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I just installed it and running it as I write this. Nothing bad, the usual everything, by this I mean the usual awesomeness :D. I'm running the 64bit version btw.

sportsdude81
February 5th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Same here. running great so far. 64bit system as well

Blayze187
February 5th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I think this just came, today (I didn't see it, yesterday). How many of you are installing it? Is it working well?

Tim

i installed the updates, and now it wont boot to the desktop, it shows the login screen, then all that shows up is the terminal... can you guys help me? in a Complete N00b to this. plz help!

raysaunders
February 5th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Hmmmm.....

I just installed the update as proposed by Update Manager and the system no longer boots.

Message is "Missing Operating System_" :shock:

Guidance anyone?

shriramrs31
February 5th, 2010, 10:52 AM
i installed the updates, and now it wont boot to the desktop, it shows the login screen, then all that shows up is the terminal... can you guys help me? in a Complete N00b to this. plz help!

Try choosing the old kernel from GRUB menu and booting with it.

shriramrs31
February 5th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hmmmm.....

I just installed the update as proposed by Update Manager and the system no longer boots.

Message is "Missing Operating System_" :shock:

Guidance anyone?

My first guess would be GRUB problem. Try booting via LiveCD and then restoring GRUB. Here's a good link that might point you in the right direction (even though it is for restoring after an accidental windows bootloader).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Hope this helps ;-) Good luck.

saif_held
February 5th, 2010, 12:33 PM
32-bit, installed and working as usual.

ratcheer
February 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM

If you use a proprietary display driver, you probably just need to reinstall it for the new kernel.

Tim

raysaunders
February 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM
My first guess would be GRUB problem. Try booting via LiveCD and then restoring GRUB. Here's a good link that might point you in the right direction (even though it is for restoring after an accidental windows bootloader).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Hope this helps ;-) Good luck.

Thank you, shriramrs31. Your guidance sorted me out. All's well.

PC_load_letter
February 5th, 2010, 02:29 PM
If you use a proprietary display driver, you probably just need to reinstall it for the new kernel.

Tim

I'm using Nvidia's driver and I didn't need to do anything when I updated.

ratcheer
February 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Cool. I always have to reinstall it for each new kernel.

Tim

crucialhoax
February 5th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Mine updated last night. I noticed no differences in the system. Then again I don't use my laptop to heavily. However it did appear as a security update in update manager for those who were asking...

EMVirostek
February 5th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I just updated as well...and my only issue is now i have 3 different kernels in my grub menu...along with xp. is there a reason that all the kernels stay in grub? are they even accessible? is there a way to get rid of the oldest? thanks...

sporkinum
February 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Go into your package manager and search for 2.6. . Uncheck the ones you don't want anymore. After a reboot, they will no longer be in grub.

SecretCode
February 5th, 2010, 05:16 PM

Tim

dkms may be the solution you need!

Silvertones
February 5th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Upgraded. All good so far..............;)

RazVayne
February 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM
An article on the kernel update here (http://news.softpedia.com/news/10-Kernel-Vulnerabilities-in-Ubuntu-6-06-8-04-8-10-9-04-and-9-10-134162.shtml).

jenaniston
February 5th, 2010, 05:58 PM

install all the updates and system won't boot . . . it happens - maybe not to everyone -
but it has to me as well - and with other linux distributions also.

I now avoid updates -

Unless you don't absolutely need the machine working right then
and have time and want to experiment for the fun of it - imho, update at your own peril.

ratcheer
February 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM
An article on the kernel update here (http://news.softpedia.com/news/10-Kernel-Vulnerabilities-in-Ubuntu-6-06-8-04-8-10-9-04-and-9-10-134162.shtml).

Thank you. Excellent info.

Tim

howefield
February 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM
imho, update at your own peril.

Or the converse, don't update at your peril :)

To each their own, but prepared with a disk image, a borked update means (at worst) you are only 15 minutes or so away from a restored disk,.

Just enough time for a cup of coffee. YPMV. :)

eraevous
February 5th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I don't know what I did wrong, but I installed the new kernel and immediately (either on reboot, or while trying to shut down) hit a kernel panic. Everything else works just fine. I'm using the previous version right now, and my other partition still boots Win7. Any advice on what to do, how to solve the problem, or even how to diagnose what's wrong?

SaintDanBert
February 5th, 2010, 06:40 PM
After a reboot, they will no longer be in grub.

Speaking of GRUB -- v2 that is -- "this can happen to you..."

With the switch to GRUB-2, any time you get a new kernel or tinker with your boot-time settings, somehow update-grub2 runs either automatically or manually. This command creates the files that result in the new-and-improved grub boot menu with all of the various boot-time selections.

Now, every time I load a larger drive into my laptop, I save the olde drive as-is as an external USB drive. Notice, I said as is.
I happened to have one of these drives connected when I happened to run
update-grub2.

Sha-Zaamm!!! Now I have all of the possible bootables from my primary disk as well as whatever there was on the USB connected drive. Nice to know this will happen and if you need it. However, now I have forty-leven boot choices. These choices are written into the grub configuration regardless of whether the drive remains connected.

Corrective action means that you must run update-grub2 again -- this time without the extra boot possibilities present.

SUGGESTION: It might be nice if update-grub2 offered (1)enable or disable scans of removable drives or media as part of grub configuration, and (2) optional confirmation dialog "Do you want to boot here...?" for each target found.

Cheers,
~~~ 8d;-/ Dan

auh2o
February 5th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Tim

The NVIDIA driver was updated/installed automatically after the new kernel was installed as part of the installation process. I was looking at the info in the terminal window in the Update Manager as the installation ran and was pleased to discover this.

Thank you! Very good info.

I updated without problems and everything is running smoothly.

Claude Warren
February 5th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I updated my Toshiba Satellite (A505) which has the Realtek RTL98192SE wireless card built in. When I booted the wireless was not found. I attempted to rebuild the driver but got a kernel/bounds.c missing error. I spent several hours attempting to figure out how to fix it with no luck.

I am back to the 2.6.31-17 kernel in the mean time.

I have executed:

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic

and

sudo apt-get install linux-source

as well as

sudo apt-get update

and

sudo apt-get upgrade

in an effort to resolve the issue.

Anybody have any suggestions?

ratcheer
February 5th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Anybody have any suggestions?

Try "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade".

Tim

Claude Warren
February 5th, 2010, 08:32 PM
OK I tried the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
but it did not update anything. I attempted to rebuild.. same result.
I download the driver package from Realtek and built in a different directory...same result

What I get is the following:

make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0013.1204.2009/HAL/rtl8192'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-19-generic/build M= CC=gcc modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-19-generic'
CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `kernel/bounds.c', needed by `kernel/bounds.s'. Stop.
make[2]: *** [prepare0] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-19-generic'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0013.1204.2009/HAL/rtl8192'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Claude Warren
February 7th, 2010, 11:47 PM
](*,) DOH! The problem was in the CBU (Carbon Based Unit)

The short answer is RTFM.

The FM says:

sudo su
make
make install
reboot

While the CBU typed:

sudo make
sudo install

Once the CBU followed the FM the problem went away.

beatanga
February 9th, 2010, 01:31 AM
i have a big problem after installing this kernel.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8796754#post8796754

i see that more people have this. also happend when i installed version 17.

anybody have any idea how is this solved apart from solution being never to update kernel again?

beatanga
February 9th, 2010, 07:15 PM
solution found on this topic

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1376781

with this patch for wubildr

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lupin/+bug/477169/comments/210

:)

MacBear
February 16th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I installed the -19 update on my Dell desktop and it works well enough that I uninstalled 2.6.31-17. Oddky enough when i fired up my Toshiba laptop and ran Synaptic, it said that it was up to date (with 2.6.31-17). I have almost completely turned to Ubuntu. Still need a GUI OCR program. Soon,... maybe LOL.