PDA

View Full Version : Heavy duty document scanners

darsu
February 4th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Hi--

Does anyone here have experience of setting up a bulk scanning system with Linux or have useful knowledge of the topic? I'm looking at something like the Canon DR-7550C or equivalent, with a big feeder and high duty cycle. Is it a pipe dream to get such devices to work well with Linux? Can I bank on SANE? Testimonials?

Job sizes for the system would be in the thousands if not tens of thousands of pages. Getting an efficient and configurable workflow is important; on the one hand since I have no experience using document scanners I have no idea what I can expect of the bundled software I would likely be stuck with on Windows (Canon's brochures, for instance, are entirely silent on this, which is disconcerting), but on the other hand I would not mind creating a purpose-built interface for managing jobs.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Addie18
May 15th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Not really but I am also interested in this topic. I can tell you that I have had no luck getting either a Canon Dr-3060 or Panasonic KV 2045C to work with SANE. These are both department level scanners with relatively decent duty cycles. I would be willing to put some time into figuring out how to get these or similar scanners to work if I had a better idea where to start. I have also tried making something work with windows but I don't recommend it. Several years ago, I looked into Kofax and concluded it would annoy me however I am not sure of the status now. Keep me posted if you learn anything!

HermanAB
May 15th, 2010, 09:17 AM
The big scanners are typically standalone networked devices. So those should work without any issues.