PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updates Installation asks for Authorization everytime!?

Saurabhdua
February 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Hello There!:p

Over past few months, I have observed 'Checking & Installing' New updates for 9.04 has become a time consuming activity with overall tally of files being downloaded rising with each passing month[-o< & each individual file taking a considerable amount of time to download, before it displays the 'Final List'!?

Anyways, Ubuntu asks for 'Authorization'(punching in the Pwd) before installing updates.Is there a way to make it remember & hence stop that annoying Pop-up?:)

audiomick
February 4th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Hello There!:p

Over past few months, I have observed 'Checking & Installing' New updates for 9.04 has become a time consuming activity with overall tally of files being downloaded rising with each passing month[-o< & each individual file taking a considerable amount of time to download, before it displays the 'Final List'!?

Anyways, Ubuntu asks for 'Authorization'(punching in the Pwd) before installing updates.Is there a way to make it remember & hence stop that annoying Pop-up?:)

Don't know off hand why it would be getting slower.

As far as the password request goes, apart from the fact that I don't know how to disable it if that is even possible, doing so would be very ill-advised. This is an important security feature. Not being able to install anything without the password also means that no viruses, malware or whatever can be installed without a password. The safety factor of this should be apparent, I think.

bobbob1016
February 4th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Have you added any repos? They could be slowing down updating your lists if the repo is slow.

Also, it asks you for your password for security reasons, I don't know if there is a way to disable it though since it would be a fundamental change to your setup.

Saurabhdua
February 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Security thing is fine...!..BUT why the same standards against very legitimate Ubuntu updates?...Installing updates is like sine-qua-non that itself encircles all 'Security' logic...Isn't it?