PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Deinstall 'broken' LiLo to GRUB

Ubnoob2
February 4th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I tried installing LiLo because GRUB 2.0 didn't want to add my Windows 7 to the chainlist. So basicly the only two things I did where two commands to install and then I rebooted. Which resulted in me not having any bootloaders on my partition.

I know there are a lot of topics about this but I am pretty noob so I guess I am just failing. :P

Here's a picture from Disk Utitily (http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6108/pars.png). My partition with the Ubuntu I am normally on is already mounted. So now my question is how the h do I get in there and deinstall LiLo?

Thanks and sorry with spamming you with more of the same stuff.

Leppie
February 4th, 2010, 12:38 PM
i would re-install grub2.
follow these instructions:

sudo -i
umount /dev/sda5
mkdir /mnt/temp/
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/temp/
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/temp/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/temp/dev
mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/temp/dev/pts
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/temp/sys
chroot /mnt/temp
apt-get purge grub grub-pc grub-common lilo
mv /boot/grub /boot/grub.old
apt-get install grub-pc grub-common
exitdon't worry if you are prompted that some packages are not installed during this process, just continue. dpkg should launch the configuration scripts for grub-pc and grub-common after installation. when all is complete you should also have a 7 menu entry.

Ubnoob2
February 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work. Btw this is the error I get when I boot: 'No boot signature found on partition.'

Leppie
February 4th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work. Btw this is the error I get when I boot: 'No boot signature found on partition.'
did you install grub2 into a partition or intot he mbr? for grub-install /dev/sda points to the mbr whereas /dev/sda5 points to the first partition in the extended partition.

Ubnoob2
February 4th, 2010, 01:41 PM
No GRUB is just installed in /boot. I am now on my Ubuntu on the HD again by using a different version of Ubuntu with a different GRUB list. Deinstalling GRUB doesn't work and it says LiLo is already uninstalled.

Could it harm my system when I just copy all files from my GRUB that works to my not working version of GRUB?

Ubnoob2
February 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM
No GRUB is just installed in /boot. I am now on my Ubuntu on the HD again by using a different version of Ubuntu with a different GRUB list. Deinstalling GRUB doesn't work and it says LiLo is already uninstalled.

Could it harm my system when I just copy all files from my GRUB that works to my not working version of GRUB?

Just solved it. I tried a lot of stuff, but what I tried last was use Synaptic Package Manager and chose for complete removal of anything containing GRUB. Then I chose to install 'grub-pc', 'grub-common' and 'grubutil-win32' again. And everything seems to be fixed.
Except for Windows 7 which still isn't in the list but I'll figure that soon I hope. :p

Leppie
February 4th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Just solved it. I tried a lot of stuff, but what I tried last was use Synaptic Package Manager and chose for complete removal of anything containing GRUB. Then I chose to install 'grub-pc', 'grub-common' and 'grubutil-win32' again. And everything seems to be fixed.
Except for Windows 7 which still isn't in the list but I'll figure that soon I hope. :p

did you do a wubi install?
what you're saying doesn't really make sense. "completely remove" in synaptic is "purge" with apt-get, so if apt-get purge didn't work "completely remove" in synaptic wasn't the solution either. that leaves as only difference the "grubutil-win32" which sounds something like a wubi thing (i don't have any experience with wubi though).