PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Control VLC using Cairo Dock

hariks0
February 4th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Hi all, is there a way to control the vlc media player using cairodock media player control. The default media players available in the list are audacious, banshee, rythmbox etc.

Thanks in advance.

fabounet
February 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM
if you can control VLC remotely, you could make a DBus applet then.

hariks0
February 4th, 2010, 06:35 PM
There is one more thing I would like to have. The cairo with open gl consumes around 50 % of cpu and hangs frequently especially when I try to configure some items in the dock. The cairo dock without open gl does the same, only that it is a bit late in hanging.

fabounet
February 5th, 2010, 11:52 AM
it depends on the animation level you set up.
the more you have animations/effects, the more it uses CPU (sounds logical).
except that with openGL, the CPU load stays quite low even with a lot of effects, but it depends on your graphic card/drivers.
also some effects are more heavy than others (the "capsule rotation" is, the firework too)
for instance with a GeForce7 I rarely go over 20% CPU even when moving the mouse very fast, but on my Dell Mini9 it's another story ^_^
so just set up the effects according to your PC power.

hariks0
February 5th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Now there is a bit improvement. I have slider applet detached from the dock and whenever cairo hangs and becomes invisible, I right click the slider applet and select the customised theme and apply it [which is already used]. Then the cairo dock comes again. I used to kill it using system monitor.

Any solution to control vlc using cairo ?

hariks0
February 6th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Thank you for your reply. But when i tried disabling autohide later, the problem stopped. Cairo-dock is not even appearing in the top 5 processes under cpu/ram usage. If autohide is enabled, the dock hides after some delay and never comes back. I disabled autohide and now only that the dock is there even if some window is maximised.

Also there is no improvement regarding controlling vlc with cairo.

hariks0
July 23rd, 2010, 08:35 AM
Coming back to the original topic, can we control VLC using cairo applet for media player?

fabounet
July 23rd, 2010, 08:38 AM
the question is : does VLC has a remote interface (Dbus or whatever) ?

hariks0
July 23rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
Actually my intention is to to control VLC with the music player applet of Cairo dock, which support some other players only. Remote control is still welcome though.