PDA

View Full Version : Seattle-Area People - A Lil' Help, Please?

Spike-X
February 4th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Howdy folks. I have a friend in the Seattle area who's looking to get a new computer soon, and is interested in giving Ubuntu a try. Does anyone know a reputable store in the area who will build a decent comp for him, and install Ubuntu and get it up and running? He has a budget of a thousand bucks.

Thanks!

xuCGC002
February 4th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Howdy folks. I have a friend in the Seattle area who's looking to get a new computer soon, and is interested in giving Ubuntu a try. Does anyone know a reputable store in the area who will build a decent comp for him, and install Ubuntu and get it up and running? He has a budget of a thousand bucks.

Thanks!

I'd recommend Fry's in Renton, but i don't know if they'd build one for him. Huge selection at cheap prices though, if he could build one himself.

kernelhaxor
February 4th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I doubt if there's such a store (who will build a comp and install Ubuntu) in this area .. but I'm not very sure

steveneddy
February 4th, 2010, 04:25 PM
System76 (http://www.system76.com/) should be able to handle your request.

cfhowlett
February 22nd, 2010, 12:50 AM
I can pretty much guarantee fry's and the other retailers won't touch this. I'd agree with the earlier recommendation to go with system 76 OR buy a generic system and install it himself. It's really not that hard and there's plenty of assistance available online. OR he could buy a DELL Ubuntu system.

imjafo
February 22nd, 2010, 01:25 AM
Spike-X: I used to live up around Seattle. I would suggest having your friend take a look at Puget Systems. They are located in Auburn, which is fairly close. I have never bought one of their systems, but I have a friend in the area who has. They are very happy with the build quality and the support from Puget Systems. I have used his system and, and was impressed with it. (www.pugetsystems.com) I just went to their site and they offer win7,Ubuntu, Suse, Fedora (linux OS for free) , so I guess they will install the os of your choice.
Hope this helps