PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 16-bit PC Simulator

Xiode
February 4th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I'm currently in a class at Georgia Tech called CS2200 - Systems and Networks that's basically a low-level CS class that starts at the hardware level and abstracts up from there (processor design, multithreading, ISA's, etc..).

Anyway, we use this 16-bit ISA called the "LC2200", which basically simulates a very simple 16-bit computer. For the first assignment, we were provided an assembly skeleton file and the actual simulator in a tarball. We had to create a recursive assembly program that computed a power, given a base and a power.

However, I wasn't able to get the simulator to install on my Karmic Koala partition. In our classes/labs, we use Red Hat 5 Enterprise, so I had to remote desktop into one of the servers in order to do the assignment. My current setup is a 64-bit install of 9.10 running in VirtualBox on top of Windows 7 Professional. Part of installing the simulator requires compiling the binaries via "make". Initially, the problem was that I didn't have GCC installed. After grabbing the latest version however, it was giving me errors that had to do with incompatible type conversions. I know that it works, however, because it compiled successfully on the school computers running Red Hat.

I know that's a lot of information to take in, but does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be? I attached a copy of the files we were provided (with the homework instructions) to provide a little more insight into what I'm asking.

Thanks in advance!
-Dan

gmargo
February 4th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Surely a fine young computer science student such as yourself has figured it out by now. But if not, here is the patch I had to apply in order to compile on 9.10 Karmic with gcc-4.4.1 (although I only have 32-bits at my disposal.)

diff -urBw simpl-src-gt16.orig/common.h simpl-src-gt16/common.h
--- simpl-src-gt16.orig/common.h 2007-01-13 12:23:39.000000000 -0800
+++ simpl-src-gt16/common.h 2010-02-04 08:58:49.000000000 -0800
@@ -818,11 +818,11 @@

/* TODO: Evil casting... */
char* find(char c) const
- { return strchr(mArray.begin(), c); }
+ { return const_cast<char*>(strchr(mArray.begin(), c)); }
char* findr(char c) const
- { return strrchr(mArray.begin(), c); }
+ { return const_cast<char*>(strrchr(mArray.begin(), c)); }
char* find(const char* s) const