PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Motherboard, same ubuntu.

jeditalian
February 4th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I just swapped my motherboard for a less awesome one, but the awesome one has been damaged for almost a year now. i have ubuntu and windows xp, xp64, none of them can handle the switch. i figured ubuntu would adapt to its new surroundings, and facilitate the transfer of files to a 100gb partition or two, allowing me to reinstall all the operating systems again.
well, ubuntu at least recognized the usb, allowing me mouse and keyboard, but it couldn't get over the fact that there was no Nvidia to startup on startup, or something like that.
i am running off the cd now. what's the best course of action: backup my files to a different partition and reinstall the operating systems, or is there another way, where i keep everything how it was and remove all affiliation(writers block, can't figure out that word i meant to say) with the red motherboard and get it setup for the green one.
so i'm posting here asking "what's your idea? " is there an easy way to do this or should i just install to another 100gb partition, move my files, and wipe the old partitions?