PDA

View Full Version : Learing PHP

Wallakoala
March 5th, 2006, 01:56 AM
What would be the best course of action to take for learning php? Can anyone recommend some books and/or web tutorials?
My ultimate goal is to learn php, and then learn javascript for programming web apps.

pharcyde
March 5th, 2006, 02:05 AM
If you are fairly adept in any object oriented programming language (i.e C++, Java) Then you should have no problem learnign PHP. When I started usign PHP I was already fairly familiar with C++ syntax so learning PHP was a breeze. I fonud that the best way for me to learn PHP was to read the official PHP manual to see what procedure calls and objects were already available in the language. Check out the manual here -> http://www.php.net/docs.php

If you are not well versed in a OOP language I would recommend using google to learn more about OOP concepts and C++/Java coding practices and conventions.

majikstreet
March 5th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I learned by reading online tutorials mostly.. I can recommmend a great PHP and MySQL book though, Beginning PHP5 and MySQL: From Novice to Professional by W. Jason Gilmore

Wallakoala
March 5th, 2006, 02:56 AM
I learned by reading online tutorials mostly.. I can recommmend a great PHP and MySQL book though, Beginning PHP5 and MySQL: From Novice to Professional by W. Jason Gilmore

Do you know any specific tutorials?