PDA

View Full Version : Touchscreens

coolbrook
February 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
I'm happy with hardware buttons for input/navigation.

Sporkman
February 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Indifferent, I am.

Tristam Green
February 3rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
welcome to the world, OP. Touchscreens are here to stay (until they break).

I like them, but having buttons to fall back on is infinitely useful.

blur xc
February 3rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
It depends on the device. For a hand held device like a smarth phone or a tablet, they are great. For a laptop or a dekstop- not so much. The goal is to reduce the amount your hands have to move around. the touch pad right under the keyboard does a good job of that for a laptop. And for my desktop, my 24" screen is just past arms reach. Not at all practical.

BM

clancymf
February 3rd, 2010, 10:55 PM
nothing kills me more than when someone leaves a fingerprint on my screen!!! I coulnt imagine the finger prints on touch screen computers...

Giant Speck
February 3rd, 2010, 11:35 PM
I'm mainly indifferent because for me it depends on the device.

Neither of my two laptops are touch-capable, nor do I want them to be; however, my iPhone is touch-capable, and I love it.

If there was ever anything touch-capable that I'd want, it'd be a touch-capable television. I have a small, fifteen-inch television on my desk right next to my computer. It'd be great to just reach over, tap the screen, and tap buttons on the screen to change channels or view station/program information.

Chilli Bob
February 4th, 2010, 09:58 AM
In general I would say I hate them. They are slow, inaccuate, difficult to use and covered in greasy fingerprints.

That said, I would like to get one of those tiny 8" ones and use it to make a rhythymbox based juke box, possibly in R2D2 case.

sideaway
February 4th, 2010, 10:24 AM
In general I would say I hate them. They are slow, inaccuate, difficult to use and covered in greasy fingerprints.

That said, I would like to get one of those tiny 8" ones and use it to make a rhythymbox based juke box, possibly in R2D2 case.
Cool idea!

I'd so do that if I had the money :P

Grenage
February 4th, 2010, 10:31 AM
A good touch-screen and OS behind it is tough to beat, the iphone is a good example of a polished system.

toupeiro
February 4th, 2010, 10:49 AM
There is tons of potential, but its not quite there yet. I'm more a fan of technologies surrounding touchscreen, like perceptive pixel (http://www.perceptivepixel.com/), MS-Surface (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4217348.html) and MPX (http://vimeo.com/1981468). While I won't say that any of these three are "the answer", They are all steps in the right direction in my opinion.

To me, the biggest problem with the iPod Touch / iPhone is apple. Now, if I could get a device just like an iPhone/iPod touch, but have the full gambit of functionality I do with a jailbroken iPhone/iPod touch out of the box, then you have a device thats truly a multi-purpose pocket touch device.

HappinessNow
February 4th, 2010, 12:33 PM

That's why I like a touchscreen with an active digitizer, but then if it has an active digitizer is it really a touchscreen?

madnessjack
February 4th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Phones - bad idea

Tablets - good idea

Smart-phones - indifferent