PDA

View Full Version : What shell do you use?

Diametric
February 3rd, 2010, 03:04 AM
I'm just curious what shell you folks use and why? I use bash because it's the default shell and from the book I'm reading on it bash appears to be the most flexible.

Anyone else?

ubudog
February 3rd, 2010, 03:19 AM
Bash.

NightwishFan
February 3rd, 2010, 04:50 AM
Bash, old habits die hard.

semi_fiction
February 3rd, 2010, 05:35 AM
Bash ftw

kaibob
February 3rd, 2010, 05:43 AM
When working in a terminal window, I use bash because it's the default. I use dash in most of my shell scripts because it's typically faster. I use bash in shell scripts only when I use an array or some other feature not supported by dash.

akshayy
February 3rd, 2010, 05:43 AM
bash by default, why do you ask ?

Diametric
February 3rd, 2010, 05:45 AM
I was curious as to why others used different shells. I guess most use bash out of "it's there" but I noticed on post where someone used zsh. Anyone use the cshell?

dcsoldschool53
February 3rd, 2010, 05:47 AM
I use the default, bash

oupamster
February 3rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
bash.

Bachstelze
February 3rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
zsh for interactive shells, (d)ash for shell scripts.

mikkie
February 3rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Zsh. Looks prettier and has better auto-completion than bash. A bit faster too.

Psumi
February 3rd, 2010, 03:04 PM
bash, because I don't know anything else, and it's the default.

RiceMonster
February 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Zsh, but I write scrips with bash. Once you configure tab completion in Zsh, you'll see how nice it is.

Grenage
February 3rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
Bash; it's the default and I'm not advanced enough to look into others.

louieb
February 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
zsh -because someone suggested I check it out - now I'm hooked.

scouser73
February 3rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
Bash

Tibuda
February 3rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
I have used zsh, but now I'm back to bash. It works for me.

CharlesA
February 3rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Bash since I am too lazy to try other shells.

Simon17
February 3rd, 2010, 04:33 PM
cmd

baizon
February 3rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Bash :)

ssam
February 3rd, 2010, 04:41 PM
i have seen several posts/articles, saying that zsh has some great feature foo. but in every case bash seems to have the feature too.

has bash caught up with zsh? are there really things zsh does better?

ratcheer
February 3rd, 2010, 04:42 PM
I am using bash on Ubuntu because it is the default, but I have worked on numerous UNIX systems for many years and have almost always used Korn shell (ksh), in the past. I really don't see that much difference in the two.

If I felt a burning need to learn a newer shell, I think it would be zsh.

Tim

RiceMonster
February 3rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
has bash caught up with zsh?

No.

are there really things zsh does better?

Yes, the tab completion is extremely powerful. I have case insensitive menu completion that will even complete man pages and user names. You can have it complete pids, and pretty much anything.

Barrucadu
February 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Zsh, because it's wonderful.

blur xc
February 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Zsh, because it's wonderful.

If zsh is wonderful, why isn't it the default?

BM

Icehuck
February 3rd, 2010, 07:00 PM

BM

Probably because it's not GNU and uses an EVIL mit-like license.

Tibuda
February 3rd, 2010, 07:03 PM

BM

bash works better out-of-the-box, while zsh is much better than bash after some tweaking. I think that's why it is not the default.

Hetor
February 3rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
Self-compilled bash4 on 9.04.

Simian Man
February 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Zsh seriously kicks ***. If you like the tab completion in bash, you will be blown away by zsh.

Barrucadu
February 3rd, 2010, 07:42 PM

BM

Because bash is the traditional default, if it were not the default, CLI power-users would be confuzzled until they figure out the shell was ‘wrong’.

blur xc
February 3rd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Because bash is the traditional default, if it were not the default, CLI power-users would be confuzzled until they figure out the shell was ‘wrong’.

now you guys got me all wondering about zsh. I installed it, but there's no .zshrc file. I googled it, and found a few tricked out .zshrc's...might be worth learnign.

Are all the same cli commands the same? what about scripting? I'm far from being a bash guru, but I saw a lot of {{ and }} in those rc files... Does zsh use a different syntax? I suppose I could just google that as well...

How do you make your gnome terminal pull up one shell or another?

BM

Tibuda
February 3rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
now you guys got me all wondering about zsh. I installed it, but there's no .zshrc file. I googled it, and found a few tricked out .zshrc's...might be worth learnign.

Are all the same cli commands the same? what about scripting? I'm far from being a bash guru, but I saw a lot of {{ and }} in those rc files... Does zsh use a different syntax? I suppose I could just google that as well...
The syntax is very similar. If the cli commands are not embeded in the shell but binary executables (like aptitude), yes they are exactly the same. For scripting, you specify what shell to interpret the script changing the "#!" line.

How do you make your gnome terminal pull up one shell or another?
if you are on bash, type "zsh", and it will open a zsh shell. type "exit" and you'll return to the bash shell. to change the default shell to zsh, run "chsh -s /bin/zsh".

blur xc
February 3rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
The syntax is very similar. If the cli commands are not embeded in the shell but binary executables (like aptitude), yes they are exactly the same. For scripting, you specify what shell to interpret the script changing the "#!" line.

if you are on bash, type "zsh", and it will open a zsh shell. type "exit" and you'll return to the bash shell. to change the default shell to zsh, run "chsh -s /bin/zsh".

yeah- wow, thanks for the info. I dl'd this .zshrc (http://stuff.mit.edu/%7Ejdong/misc/zshrc) and read this page (http://http://friedcpu.wordpress.com/2007/07/24/zsh-the-last-shell-youll-ever-need/). I'm quite impressed...

The tab completion by itself is amazing. I did a sudo aptitude install fire<tab> and BAM! A list of all packages in the repos that start w/ fire... amazing.

BM

ssam
February 3rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
i have seen several posts/articles, saying that zsh has some great feature foo. but in every case bash seems to have the feature too.

No.

Yes, the tab completion is extremely powerful. I have case insensitive menu completion that will even complete man pages and user names. You can have it complete pids, and pretty much anything.

bash can do case insensitive completion
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/bash-shell-setup-filename-tab-completion-case-insensitive/

bash (as configured in ubuntu) will tab complete many things
*man pages
*usernames (in chown, su)
*package names in apt-get
*pids in kill
*processnames in killall
*common sub commands (eg sudo apt-get in[tab] gives install)
etc

Bachstelze
February 3rd, 2010, 08:45 PM

Someone who is confused just by seeing another shell does not qualify as a "CLI power-user" to me. Also lol @ "traditional default". Traditional in GNU-based systems, maybe, but you do know UNIX existed long before that, right?

Barrucadu
February 3rd, 2010, 08:55 PM
lol @ "traditional default". Traditional in GNU-based systems, maybe, but you do know UNIX existed long before that, right?

I'd say being the default shell in (more or less) every Linux distro for 20 years (ish) makes Bash the ‘traditional’ Linux shell :p

Bachstelze
February 3rd, 2010, 09:04 PM
I'd say being the default shell in (more or less) every Linux distro for 20 years (ish) makes Bash the ‘traditional’ Linux shell :p

That's exactly what I said, but not what you said in your previous post.

FuturePilot
February 3rd, 2010, 09:12 PM
Zsh > *

Barrucadu
February 3rd, 2010, 09:20 PM
That's exactly what I said, but not what you said in your previous post.

I thought that, being on a Linux forum, it was fairly obvious that's what I was referring to, not previous flavours of UNIX.

Simian Man
February 3rd, 2010, 09:31 PM

I've heard before that bash supports tab completion like Zsh. If you enable that, does bash then allow you to "tab through" the possibilities like zsh does? Because that is one feature I can't live without now. I hated typing 1 character at a time until bash would complete the whole thing.

Zsh also has "less" built in by typing "<"filename, and better support for regular expressions than bash does by default.

Maybe bash can be made to behave like zsh in all of these things, but even still I'd rather use the one that has the features first and works mostly the way I like by default than try to hack bash into being something nice.

FuturePilot
February 3rd, 2010, 09:33 PM

In most cases Bash only has $FEATURE if you do some crazy hacking in your bashrc. Zsh does most of this stuff out of the box.

ratcheer
February 4th, 2010, 01:43 AM

Yep. That used to happen all the time at my last job. Everybody in the shop wrote everything in ksh, except this one Taiwanese guy who insisted on writing all of his stuff in Bourne shell, the old sh. Anytime you had to work on his stuff, it was subtly different. It was always a pain.

Tim

kk0sse54
February 4th, 2010, 02:41 AM
ksh93

Grifulkin
February 4th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I just switched to zsh based on this thread.

sudoer541
February 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I use turtle shell :p

RiceMonster
February 4th, 2010, 08:05 PM
i use turtle shell :p

............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

sudoer541
February 4th, 2010, 08:27 PM
............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

thats cool...you're cool!!! L0L!:p

Eisenwinter
February 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM

BM
According to your argument, Linux should be the "default" OS on computers.

Why isn't it?

Barriehie
February 4th, 2010, 09:52 PM
BASH, I've still got about 2000+ commands to go...

Diametric
February 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Can someone confirm if the "tab auto-complete" feature is available in bash, please?

NoaHall
February 4th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Can someone confirm if the "tab auto-complete" feature is available in bash, please?

Yes. But not to the extent of zsh.

oldos2er
February 5th, 2010, 01:44 AM

Yes, of course. It's very configurable too, see http://www.hypexr.org/bash_tutorial.php#completion

I like zsh also.

RATM_Owns
February 5th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I use zsh.

chris200x9
February 5th, 2010, 03:57 AM
I use bash, I never thought of moving it does what I need.

Mr. Picklesworth
February 5th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I'm just curious what shell you folks use and why? I use bash because it's the default shell and from the book I'm reading on it bash appears to be the most flexible.

Anyone else?

Zsh if I'm in a traditional terminal.

Hotwire if I feel like indulging myself with something awesome. It's kind of a GUI-oriented reinvention of the shell, with some similarities to Microsoft's Powershell (except significantly more awesome). Being totally modern and really abstract, it doesn't block when a program is running (you can still input more commands), and you can flip back to previous commands to see their results. Neat for testing software!

cariboo
February 5th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Gnome-shell, :) other wise, bash.