PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] need installation suggestions - no cd, no boot from usb

DanBender
February 3rd, 2010, 02:37 AM
I need a little help. I am trying to install Mythbuntu onto a (previously Windows) machine, and am running into the following problem:

I have two hard drives. Currently, I boot from the 160 GB drive, but I want to switch so that it boots from the 40 GB drive instead. I've got the drives set up so that the 40 G drive is the IDE 0 (master) and the 160 as IDE 1 (slave). I think I have that described right. They're on the same cable. So there is currently no boot from HD, which is fine since that will get fixed when I install Mythbuntu.

HOWEVER, I have no CD drive on this computer, and no boot from USB on the mainboard. So I can't boot from and install the OS off of a jump drive. Problem.

Now, the computer does have a floppy drive it can boot from. Is there a way to boot with a floppy and load whatever's necessary to install the operating system from the USB jump drive?

Does anyone have ideas on this?

Thanks for your help

-Dan

audiomick
February 3rd, 2010, 03:02 AM
Hi Dan.
I read some stuff about this here just the other day, but have no idea where it is.

In principle, it seems it is possible to create a floppy that loads the USB drivers that allow you to boot from the USB drive.

I would suggest searching the forum for "boot floppy" or something like that. It is likely to mean a bit of reading, but there is something there.