PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Member?

k3lt01
February 3rd, 2010, 01:06 AM
I have noticed a few community members have the words "Ubuntu Member" near their avatars in posts. I was just wondering is this anything special or is it just something fun like the bean type thing (i.e. has an Ubuntu drip etc)? If it is something serious how does someone become an Ubuntu Member?

bodhi.zazen
February 3rd, 2010, 01:09 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership

=)

If you are interested in membership, send me a PM and I can help.

Psumi
February 3rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership

=)

If you are interested in membership, send me a PM and I can help.

Will there be a Lubuntu or Xubuntu membership in the future?

bodhi.zazen
February 3rd, 2010, 02:34 AM
Will there be a Lubuntu or Xubuntu membership in the future?

Possibly, however I would think they prefer to keep it all under one roof, and thus roll it all into the general ubuntu membership.

You could ask the CC :

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncilAgenda

As both projects are official, they would fall under the CC.

Psumi
February 3rd, 2010, 04:57 AM
Possibly, however I would think they prefer to keep it all under one roof, and thus roll it all into the general ubuntu membership.

You could ask the CC :

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncilAgenda

As both projects are official, they would fall under the CC.

I wouldn't be able to prepare charts, be on time for meetings, etc. so I can't be an ubuntu member anyway.

So much for being "easy."

Iowan
February 4th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I wouldn't be able to prepare charts, be on time for meetings, etc. so I can't be an ubuntu member anyway.

So much for being "easy."I don't remember preparing charts, and only attended one "meeting" so far. Dunno about being late, but you certainly wouldn't want to miss your interview.

Psumi
February 4th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I don't remember preparing charts, and only attended one "meeting" so far. Dunno about being late, but you certainly wouldn't want to miss your interview.

Yeah, no interview for me, sorry. The only Interviews I should attend are job interviews. I don't consider being an ubuntu member a job, so it doesn't count to be honest.

I also can't sign the code of conduct, I've lost 3 PGP keys (the second one being the one I signed the code of conduct with), so I removed my signature.

I haven't made any contributions to ubuntu because...

A.) My bug reports could never be fixed due to incomplete information, wontfix, worksforme, no one ever replied to my bug report (5+ of my bug reports are still "New" with "Undecided" status), etc.

B.) I can't do art very well, and can't draw worth jack. ( See my DeviantART (http://coldreactive.deviantart.com/) - Oh and, I did one inkscape document, hated it with a passion, don't know how to do gradients still, save tool preferences without them being reset, etc. )

C.) My plans for the ubuntu will cause severe changes to ubuntu, so much so that the stubborn developers will just turn a blind eye or deaf ear to me for future ideas.

D.) I HATE MAILING-LISTS

k3lt01
February 4th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Yeah, no interview for me, sorry. The only Interviews I should attend are job interviews. I don't consider being an ubuntu member a job, so it doesn't count to be honest.

I also can't sign the code of conduct, I've lost 3 PGP keys (the second one being the one I signed the code of conduct with), so I removed my signature.

I haven't made any contributions to ubuntu because...

A.) My bug reports could never be fixed due to incomplete information, wontfix, worksforme, no one ever replied to my bug report (5+ of my bug reports are still "New" with "Undecided" status), etc.

B.) I can't do art very well, and can't draw worth jack. ( See my DeviantART (http://coldreactive.deviantart.com/) - Oh and, I did one inkscape document, hated it with a passion, don't know how to do gradients still, save tool preferences without them being reset, etc. )

C.) My plans for the ubuntu will cause severe changes to ubuntu, so much so that the stubborn developers will just turn a blind eye or deaf ear to me for future ideas.

D.) I HATE MAILING-LISTSLOL, thanks for the laugh.

I'm glad my simple question has got a few responses.

Psumi, ask yourself this. Have you answered a post and helped someone? If you have then you have contributed somehow. Don't sell yourself short. If you can't do those things listed above there may be other things you can do. I'm going to contact a few of the teams later today and see what's going on within them and from that choose a few things to work with. I would also suggest, if you are actually somewhat interested that is, that you contact Bodhi.zazen cause he can give you a few things to look at and make suggestions. If the "Thanks" button was still around I'd use it to publicly thank him for the suggestions and ideas he has given me so far. I don't think you need to be a member to help with Ubuntu so I wouldn't go bashing myself if I were you.

skymera
February 4th, 2010, 01:53 AM

So much for being "easy."

I got as far as reading all that text, straight away the easiness went out the window. As for fun (which i saw in another post), when were meetings etc FUN!?

I'm happy just being an Ubuntu forum member..

Psumi
February 4th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Psumi, ask yourself this. Have you answered a post and helped someone?
yes, I have. But very few answers I've given actually solved people's problems. I am not adept in Linux.

If you can't do those things listed above there may be other things you can do.
Like?

I don't think you need to be a member to help with Ubuntu so I wouldn't go bashing myself if I were you.
Whenever I see a K/Ubuntu member ranked person on these forums, it feels like a hard punch/slap to the face, not to mention a hard realization that something "easy" can't be accomplished by me even though I've tried to do it and utterly failed because I can't keep a schedule (hate them to be honest) among other things. Also note that the developers are stubborn (in my eye anyway) and they require me to go on some silly mailing list to push a new version of a program, or introduce a new program or replace a program with a better one (IE: Parole in Xubuntu instead of Totem.) I am not willing to do that ever since I tried to get the ayttm team to give me a karmic deb for 0.6.1 because I couldn't connect to yahoo and couldn't stay connected on MSN for more than five minutes! it's annoying and downright... ...disgusting! I even tried compiling ayttm myself, with alien (warned me that the RPM was only for amd64) and giftwrap (error 2 status that could never be found out.)

So before going to tell me that I should go on a mailing list, consider my bad experience with them as well as the bad experiences I've had with bug sites among other sites pertaining to linux, including ubuntuforums here. I was banned because no one would solve my problems and because I couldn't take it anymore, and just annoyed/spammed the admins. I'm only here so I can see file attachments among other things. I wasn't actually going to go back to posting anything, but I did anyway.

Feel free to re-ban me, but I'll be back, unless you allow anonies to download/view attachments and whatnot.

I got as far as reading all that text, straight away the easiness went out the window. As for fun (which i saw in another post), when were meetings etc FUN!?
you mean this thread?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445211&highlight=fun+easy

k3lt01
February 4th, 2010, 02:51 AM
yes, I have. But very few answers I've given actually solved people's problems. I am not adept in Linux.So some answers you have given have solved someone's problems then. I'm not sure anyone can be adept in Linux, certainly people can be adept in parts of it or even alot of it, but there are so many variations it would be nigh on impossible to be proficient at it all.

Like?I don't know you or your strengths and weaknesses so I cannot answer that, only you can.

Psumi
February 4th, 2010, 03:48 AM
weaknesses

1. Autism - Learning Disabilities, etc.
2. I'm bad at art
3. communication is not my thing. I often get kicked from chats, blocked by users, get short tempered real fast, and much, much more.
4. My mother is a drug user, and has abused me so much, that when I got my own life more straightened out, I didn't know how to do it.
5. My father is also a drug addict (currently using though.)
6. I don't like school, it stresses me out, never want to complete college.
7. Never had any paid work experience.
8. Dislike any form of shooter, so much so, I will call anything remotely a shooter a ------------ and a shooter (IE: Borderlands, I will never call it an RPG.) The only exception is MegaMan Legends.
9. ????
10. Profiting

strengths

Fiction Writing

ubunterooster
February 4th, 2010, 05:08 AM
1. Autism - Learning Disabilities, etc.
2. I'm bad at art
3. communication is not my thing. I often get kicked from chats, blocked by users, get short tempered real fast, and much, much more.
4. My mother is a drug user, and has abused me so much, that when I got my own life more straightened out, I didn't know how to do it.
5. My father is also a drug addict (currently using though.)
6. I don't like school, it stresses me out, never want to complete college.
7. Never had any paid work experience.
8. Dislike any form of shooter, so much so, I will call anything remotely a shooter a ------------ and a shooter (IE: Borderlands, I will never call it an RPG.) The only exception is MegaMan Legends.
9. ????
10. Profiting

Fiction Writing
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1396250
I have viewed your history and you have helped some, and in trying to help others you have helped them by bumping them. ;) congrats, and thanks for helping. Help need not be large at all, it often goes that the littlest things add up to overshadow the larger.
Perseverance!

k3lt01
February 4th, 2010, 10:54 AM
1. Autism - Learning Disabilities, etc.I'm a school teacher, I deal with Autism for a living. It's not a learning disability if the person helping understands what's going on. Most people I know with Autism are very logical and do things in a very defined order (like numbering points) maybe you could assist with writing up processes.

2. I'm bad at art Is that a problem?

3. communication is not my thing. I often get kicked from chats, blocked by users, get short tempered real fast, and much, much more.If people know about number 1 they may react differently and you may react differently as well.

5. My father is also a drug addict (currently using though.) But you are not them.

6. I don't like school, it stresses me out, never want to complete college. I'm a teacher and I don't like school. It is a very artificial environment.

7. Never had any paid work experience. Is this a problem?

8. Dislike any form of shooter, so much so, I will call anything remotely a shooter a ------------ and a shooter (IE: Borderlands, I will never call it an RPG.) The only exception is MegaMan Legends.I don't like shooters either but I do like RPGs, used to play AD&D in the pre-PC era

9. ????
10. Profiting????????

Fiction WritingIs that a hint?

J V
February 4th, 2010, 11:20 AM
communication is not my thing. I often get kicked from chats, blocked by users, get short tempered real fast, and much, much more.

Don't worry, deep down we're all ******** :D

skymera
February 4th, 2010, 11:45 AM
you mean this thread?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445211&highlight=fun+easy

Yes :KS