PDA

View Full Version : Studies Reveal Why Kids Get Bullied and Rejected

Sporkman
February 2nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Studies Reveal Why Kids Get Bullied and Rejected

By Robin Nixon, LiveScience Contributor
posted: 02 February 2010 10:03 am ET

Kids who get bullied and snubbed by peers may be more likely to have problems in other parts of their lives, past studies have shown. And now researchers have found at least three factors in a child's behavior that can lead to social rejection.

The factors involve a child's inability to pick up on and respond to nonverbal cues from their pals...

http://www.livescience.com/culture/children-social-rejection-100202.html

thatguruguy
February 2nd, 2010, 07:06 PM
waitaminnit. Kids who are socially retarded are more likely to get picked on? NO WAI.

JDShu
February 2nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
The observation that popular kids get to perfect their social skills while outcasts get no opportunity is very interesting. Its so obvious but we don't think about it very often.

5dolla
February 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Hmm no matter how scientific This article is in justifying the need
for kids to pick on one another for social growth. I still think that
there is a special rings of hell reserved for those kids. I was picked
as a child. I was the fat kid and even tho Im quite skinny today there
is still apart of me that would offer a Texas funeral to anyone of these
lil bastards I happed to meet today.

BinaryFeast
February 2nd, 2010, 08:08 PM
Nothing new here. I was bullied since before I even started school, so I should know (There are more operating systems on my laptop than there have been friends in my life). I'm pretty much convinced I have Asperger, which may be the cause of the bullying. Always had trouble understanding the nonverbal stuff.

Thelasko
February 2nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Its so obvious but we don't think about it very often.

Yeah, I agree. This article makes perfect sense.

I just spent the weekend watching my 5 year old nephew who complains about bullying at school. While talking with him I noticed that his sense of humor is lacking. The other kids probably aren't picking on him so much as telling jokes. He just doesn't understand humor yet.

Looking back at my own life, I didn't really understand some forms of humor until college. This is likely why I hung out with the people I did when in high school.

pwnst*r
February 2nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
For the most part you can get away from being bullied. Too fat? Work out. Not sociable? Get over it.

NoaHall
February 2nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
I just tend to ignore those who I have no desire to listen or talk to. This includes teachers.

Tristam Green
February 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
I'm pretty much convinced I have Asperger

For that reason alone, I can almost guarantee you don't. It's like someone saying "oh, I'm so bipolar!"

pwnst*r, as usual, is right.

LightB
February 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
For the most part you can get away from being bullied. Too fat? Work out. Not sociable? Get over it.

You could also beat the crap out of them. That's what I did. And yet strangely I still wasn't popular. 'Getting away' from it doesn't imply coping with anything. What you said is fail.

LightB
February 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM

So is my broken clock.

Tristam Green
February 2nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
So is my broken clock.

Yeah, but your broken clock is only usually right twice a day.

JDShu
February 2nd, 2010, 08:47 PM

Sadly, high schools are very cliquish. Its often not that easy.

LightB
February 2nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
Yeah, but your broken clock is only usually right twice a day.

Ok, but my clock isn't trying to brag by beating him.

JDShu
I just tend to ignore those who I have no desire to listen or talk to. This includes teachers.

LOL you will go far in life.

pwnst*r
You could also beat the crap out of them. That's what I did. And yet strangely I still wasn't popular. 'Getting away' from it doesn't imply coping with anything. What you said is fail.

You don't have to be popular to be sociable nor do you have to let someone bully you.

Your post is lame.

NoaHall
February 2nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
LOL you will go far in life.

Seeing as I have never failed a test and have a job , yes, I will. Teachers aren't always the best way of learning.

pwnst*r
You don't have to be popular to be sociable nor do you have to let someone bully you.

Your post is lame.

So is my broken clock.

I like that you're annoyed.

BinaryFeast
For that reason alone, I can almost guarantee you don't. It's like someone saying "oh, I'm so bipolar!"

I'm open to that possibility, but you should know that my younger brother was suggested to have it recently by some "professional". I know what you mean though; there are a lot of lost teenagers looking for labels (disorders, sexuality, etc.) in order to create some form of identity, but I'm not one of them. I'd rather not have any "condition" holding me back.

LightB
February 2nd, 2010, 08:53 PM

Then you must be old and out of touch or somebody sheltered. Being sociable in adolescent circles undeniably implies at least a modicum of popularity. As far as letting someone bully you, did I stutter? I said I beat them up, still didn't fix any sociability. I was trying to be as violently sociable as possible, too. But no.

If somebody decides not to like you, that's all there is too it, especially in unmonitored kid circles.

Your post is lame.

It would seem lame to someone who can't keep up with it, like some ironic, relativist relelation at the end of a movie.

LightB
February 2nd, 2010, 08:54 PM

Calm down and don't flatter yourself. Your trolling technique is a 5.0 at best.

JDShu
February 2nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Seeing as I have never failed a test and have a job , yes, I will. Teachers aren't always the best way of learning.

Fair enough, the way you post, I assumed you were in high school. My bad.

RabbitWho
February 2nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
That doesn't explain why they can switch schools and be fine or why they can have friends outside of school and not have the same problems or why everything always gets better when you start college.

Bullies are ********. You can get bullied for wearing pink or having your name written on your books. How is that your fault? You should rub out your name and wear blue? No. The problem is theirs.

Tristam Green
February 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
I'm open to that possibility, but you should know that my younger brother was suggested to have it recently by some "professional". I know what you mean though; there are a lot of lost teenagers looking for labels (disorders, sexuality, etc.) in order to create some form of identity, but I'm not one of them. I'd rather not have any "condition" holding me back.

That's a much better way of looking at it.

ElSlunko
February 2nd, 2010, 09:19 PM

eBully.

Sporkman
February 2nd, 2010, 09:29 PM
Fair enough, the way you post, I assumed you were in high school. My bad.

AW NO HE DIDUN!!

:lol:

wilee-nilee
February 2nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
You would need a meta-study to have any real statistical data. Scientific inquiry needs more then a article off the web without the study actually referenced for access.

Dharmachakra
February 2nd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Meh, any high school student could have written something just as profound. Nothing new.

pwnst*r
February 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Then you must be old and out of touch or somebody sheltered.

Nope and nope, but thanks for playing. And of course you have to have some popularity because that's part of being sociable, but it's not a necessity to be one of the most to be sociable.

As far as stuttering, LOL. Tough guy on the interwebs.

pwnst*r
February 2nd, 2010, 10:13 PM
Calm down and don't flatter yourself. Your trolling technique is a 5.0 at best.

Yep, annoyed. 9.0.

chucky chuckaluck
February 2nd, 2010, 10:39 PM
civilization is a learned skill. when people don't learn that skill, they revert back to whatever their 'animal' role would be. bullies are alphas and pickees are omegas. just as the bully has to learn to treat others with respect and equality, the picked upon have learn to socialize. bullies that don't learn civilization, end up in prison, while the picked upon who fail to socialize, end up collecting star wars action figures.

LightB
February 2nd, 2010, 11:18 PM
civilization is a learned skill. when people don't learn that skill, they revert back to whatever their 'animal' role would be. bullies are alphas and pickees are omegas. just as the bully has to learn to treat others with respect and equality, the picked upon have learn to socialize. bullies that don't learn civilization, end up in prison, while the picked upon who fail to socialize, end up collecting star wars action figures.

One thing that's never in short supply on the net are amateur psychologists. I'm afraid you just posted a lot of hooey just like pwned*.

chucky chuckaluck
February 2nd, 2010, 11:44 PM
One thing that's never in short supply on the net are amateur psychologists. I'm afraid you just posted a lot of hooey just like pwned*.

how is it hooey?

LightB
February 2nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
how is it hooey?

How is it not? It's just a random, unfounded statement. I could just as likely say another stark oversimplification and stay the "bullies" are inept blockheads who envy the nerds they bully, who study important careers and make money while the blockheads work at a car shop. Also, the whole "alpha" thing is undoubtedly hooey, from a scientific standpoint. Even in wolves it's been found to be inaccurate, so certainly in humans it's a fairy tale. At least as far as laymen think of the idea.

Apart from that unnecessarily long response, it's just a matter of common sense.

pwnst*r
February 3rd, 2010, 12:31 AM
Yours, like ours, is merely opinion. That right there is common sense.

chucky chuckaluck
February 3rd, 2010, 12:33 AM
How is it not? It's just a random, unfounded statement. I could just as likely say another stark oversimplification and stay the "bullies" are inept blockheads who envy the nerds they bully, who study important careers and make money while the blockheads work at a car shop. Also, the whole "alpha" thing is undoubtedly hooey, from a scientific standpoint. Even in wolves it's been found to be inaccurate, so certainly in humans it's a fairy tale. At least as far as laymen think of the idea.

Apart from that unnecessarily long response, it's just a matter of common sense.

common sense recognizes the existence of domination and submission in the animal world. it would be ignorant to say the same does not exist in the human world, as well. it's my opinion that the act of civilization has narrowed the gap between the dominant and submissive (another oversimplification, for sure).

SuperSonic4
February 3rd, 2010, 12:39 AM

Once again Chucky Chuckaluck wins

LightB
February 3rd, 2010, 12:43 AM
common sense recognizes the existence of domination and submission in the animal world. it would be ignorant to say the same does not exist in the human world, as well. it's my opinion that the act of civilization has narrowed the gap between the dominant and submissive (another oversimplification, for sure).

You want to be a lower animal, go nuts.

And yes, it was another oversimplification. Thanks for yielding to that, you submissive lady dog! ;)

thatguruguy
February 3rd, 2010, 12:47 AM
I'm starting to question the "I just beat those mean meanies up" statements you made earlier.

Although I'm sure you're the toughest of all of your LARPing buddies.

pwnst*r
February 3rd, 2010, 12:51 AM
i'm starting to question the "i just beat those mean meanies up" statements you made earlier.

Although i'm sure you're the toughest of all of your larping buddies.

omg hooey on you!

LightB
February 3rd, 2010, 12:55 AM
I'm starting to question the "I just beat those mean meanies up" statements you made earlier.

Although I'm sure you're the toughest of all of your LARPing buddies.

Question anything you like. The way you paint it is not what I said anyways. But some stupid kids sometimes get in fights and start fights, especially outside of school in other events. Maybe you're not aware of that because you were busy being the coolest chap on campus in those days of yore.

chucky chuckaluck
February 3rd, 2010, 12:57 AM
You want to be a lower animal, go nuts.

no, i don't. i don't want any humans to be. i'm a big fan of civilization with lots of opportunity for all to be happy. why would you think that?

And yes, it was another oversimplification. Thanks for yielding to that, you submissive lady dog! ;)

did you mean ladyboy? if so, it is i who cause my devoted to write the bad checks.

jrusso2
February 3rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
Study sounds like blaming the victim to me.

LightB
February 3rd, 2010, 01:04 AM
Study sounds like blaming the victim to me.

Study seemed sound to me. It wasn't blaming anyone if you read it. What these Cocos here are interpreting is a totally different thing altogether.

jrusso2
February 3rd, 2010, 01:09 AM
I don't know how you could tell it was a sound study from that. It was just an abstract.

I have a masters in doing these types of studies and I think the conclusion being drawn is false.

nmaster
February 3rd, 2010, 01:10 AM
i always pick on the weirdos. its easier than picking on someone with friends.

jrusso2
February 3rd, 2010, 01:12 AM
i always pick on the weirdos. its easier than picking on someone with friends.

Great I am hoping your joking.

LightB
February 3rd, 2010, 01:16 AM
I don't know how you could tell it was a sound study from that. It was just an abstract.

I have a masters in doing these types of studies and I think the conclusion being drawn is false.

Well ok, I thought it was a sound abstract study then. But the vagueness itself wasn't off the mark. What, then, is your conclusion? You don't think at least some of those "weirdos", as kermit puts it are that way due to some environmental influence elsewhere?

jrusso2
February 3rd, 2010, 01:19 AM
No I just don't think that their behavior or being different is an excuse for being bullied.

This is really not the gist of the study but its easy for the uninformed to draw the conclusion that the subjects somehow deserved their being bullied.

LightB
February 3rd, 2010, 01:21 AM
No I just don't think that their behavior or being different is an excuse for being bullied.

I don't think the study is saying that. It's just trying to present some background causes for their withdrawn behaviors.

This is really not the gist of the study but its easy for the uninformed to draw the conclusion that the subjects somehow deserved their being bullied.

I could be. But then the uninformed should rather inform themselves.

Mike'sHardLinux
February 3rd, 2010, 01:27 AM
I used to get bullied when I was a kid. Now, I feel like "Please bully me! PLEASE! Give me a reason!" But nobody bullies me any more. In fact, I noticed that people at work are sometimes(often?) intimidated by me. Why???

lisati
February 3rd, 2010, 01:28 AM

IMO, some of the people who say stuff like "I'm so bipolar" probably aren't, and are making excuses for behaviour that's plain stupid.

Both Asperger's Syndrome and Bipolar Disorder (a.k.a. manic depression) figure in what we have to cope with here in the Lisati household, and the reality is very different to what is sometimes presented in the movies and on TV.

/me wanders off for a coffee while forum regulars muse on things like "oh, that explains a lot"

LightB
February 3rd, 2010, 01:39 AM
I used to get bullied when I was a kid. Now, I feel like "Please bully me! PLEASE! Give me a reason!" But nobody bullies me any more. In fact, I noticed that people at work are sometimes(often?) intimidated by me. Why???

Same thing for me. I probably got bullied because I had a phobia of large crowds at an early age and couldn't concentrate on much else. I would have rather been pummeled in private than call attention to myself in public. One kid who bugged me all year found that out the hard way on the last day of school outside an arcade place next to the school. I wasn't worried about the social repercussions at that point and was surprised how far cheap kenpo moves can go against idiots. Still I would have rather died than become one of "those" people.

chucky chuckaluck
February 3rd, 2010, 01:39 AM

i think the study is suggesting that victims of bullying, had they been able to read certain social clues, would have been less likely to be bullied. i think the study is more a suggestion for developing a necessary defense rather than blaming the victim, as unfortunate a reality as that might be.

this statement is weird to me...

"When children have prolonged struggles with socializing, "a vicious cycle begins," Lavoie said. Shunned children have few opportunities to practice social skills, while popular kids are busy perfecting theirs. However, having just one or two friends can be enough to give a child the social practice he or she needs, he said."

i don't think i've ever known anyone who hadn't at least a couple of friends. also, many of the so-called 'popular' kids i've known have felt almost trapped into the role they played that made them part of the popular group.

Frak
February 3rd, 2010, 01:46 AM
For the most part you can get away from being bullied. Too fat? Work out.

I had a friend whose growth was stunted and was overweight. It wasn't his fault, he was very athletic and ate all his vegetables, but the doctors wrote it off as "not enough exercise/malnutrition" when he had a medical condition eating away at his thyroid. It wasn't until he was a senior that he got the medication he needed.

pwnst*r
February 3rd, 2010, 01:48 AM
I had a friend whose growth was stunted and was overweight. It wasn't his fault, he was very athletic and ate all his vegetables, but the doctors wrote it off as "not enough exercise/malnutrition" when he had a medical condition eating away at his thyroid. It wasn't until he was a senior that he got the medication he needed.

There are always exceptions, man.

samh785
February 3rd, 2010, 02:21 AM
Why should they have to? Shouldn't they have the right to be fat or not sociable without being tormented?

Mike'sHardLinux
February 3rd, 2010, 02:22 AM
Why should they have to? Shouldn't they have the right to be fat or not sociable without being tormented?

Amen Bro!!

chucky chuckaluck
February 3rd, 2010, 02:29 AM

they already do have the right, but that's not enough to keep it from happening. people have a right not to be murdered, raped, robbed, etc., but it still happens. until we're in "the best of all possible worlds", we have to deal with what is, no matter how unpleasant that may be.

samh785
February 3rd, 2010, 03:27 AM
they already do have the right, but that's not enough to keep it from happening. people have a right not to be murdered, raped, robbed, etc., but it still happens. until we're in "the best of all possible worlds", we have to deal with what is, no matter how unpleasant that may be.
I just think that the bullies should change their behavior before the kids that are being harassed have to as pwnst*r suggests. Justifying the behavior of a bully by saying that the kids that are being picked on should go out of their way to make themselves less attractive as targets of the bullying behavior is pretty despicable IMO.

pwnst*r
February 3rd, 2010, 04:00 AM

I never said that those that COULD do that have to. It's their choice.

pwnst*r
February 3rd, 2010, 04:01 AM
I just think that the bullies should change their behavior before the kids that are being harassed have to as pwnst*r suggests. Justifying the behavior of a bully by saying that the kids that are being picked on should go out of their way to make themselves less attractive as targets of the bullying behavior is pretty despicable IMO.

Despicable?

Wow.

LightB
February 3rd, 2010, 04:12 AM

It's trolling

chucky chuckaluck
February 3rd, 2010, 04:16 AM

no one is justifying the behavior of bullies (not sure where you got that idea). i also think bullies should change their behavior, but as most of them are fornicating asterisks, that's unlikely to happen (unless you completely reject the concept of reality). if rights are not protected, they're just an idea that won't protect anyone from getting their butts kicked. in that light, it behooves the potentially victimized to prepare for the possibility of being attacked, for their own sake.

LightB
February 3rd, 2010, 04:20 AM
no one is justifying the behavior of bullies (not sure where you got that idea). i also think bullies should change their behavior, but as most of them are fornicating asterisks, that's unlikely to happen (unless you completely reject the concept of reality). if rights are not protected, they're just an idea that won't protect anyone from getting their butts kicked. in that light, it behooves the potentially victimized to prepare for the possibility of being attacked, for their own sake.

Exactly. Just ignore the problem and it will go away. Also, it's not our problem if we just hunker down behind our gates. They will hold forever no matter how bad it gets out there. That tried and true technique never fails.

pwnst*r
February 3rd, 2010, 04:21 AM
It's trolling

You're crying again.

chucky chuckaluck
February 3rd, 2010, 04:22 AM
Exactly. Just ignore the problem and it will go away. Also, it's not our problem if we just hunker down behind our gates. They will hold forever no matter how bad it gets out there. That tried and true technique never fails.

i have no idea what you mean here. please explain.

Sef
February 3rd, 2010, 04:27 AM
Closed. Not going anywhere and offtopic.