PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Control of boot default

virsto
February 2nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
First, I am now trying to configure and setup my Ubuntu 9.10 desktop. However, I still need to use Windows Vista. I would like to change the bootup default to Windows Vista instead of Unbuntu. That is.

Ubuntu,...
Ubuntu,...
Memory Test ...
Menory Test ...
Windows Vista (loader)(on/dev/sda1)

I would like for the default to be the last entry, not the first. How can I change this?

Second, I was able to connect to the Web with Firefox with no problem. However, there a character encoding problem that I have been unable to solve.

My homepage is:

http://www.it.uu.se/edu/course/homepage/simopsyst/p2ht09/

and if one looks at the source, this has charset=utf-16. However, I have been able to get Firefox to recognize this. Any ideas on how I can get Firefox to detect and use the correct character encoding?

--V

jerrrys
February 2nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
i use startupmanager for this. its in synaptic package manager

efflandt
February 2nd, 2010, 09:46 PM
The easiest way to default to whatever you booted last (assuming grub2) is to change GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to saved like this in this part of /etc/default/grub (you can do that with sudo nano or gksu gedit). The leading # comments out that line so it is ignored, but so you still know what it was if you want to change it back:

#GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

Then do sudo update-grub.

Then if you booted Windows last, it would default to Windows, and if you booted Ubuntu last it would default to that.