PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Universal Remote

Tykin
February 2nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
I would like to get a universal remote that can work with Windows 7, Ubuntu 9.10, my Vizio TV, and my Xbox 360.

Does such a remote exist? I was hoping the Logitech Harmony remotes could do so, but I don't know if it could send signals to the 360.

I see the Logitech Xbox 360 Remote, but I don't know if that will work on my PC!

Also, what kind of receiver would my PC need for a universal remote? Could I use the same receiver that my wireless keyboard and mouse use?

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks for all the help!

Grenage
February 2nd, 2010, 04:55 PM
Logitech Harmony range is excellent, I have all manner of macros on mine. Unfortunately there is no native Linux software for it.

http://phildev.net/concordance/ < Apparently there is some 3rd party work in progress.

LowSky
February 2nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
I have a Logitech Harmony 550

Program it as a Windows Media Ceter Remote and it will work just fine in MythTV, all you will need is a media center IR reciever, cheap off ebay.

Also works for my Vizio TV and my cable box. It has a lot of cool fetures and nearly every device will work with it. Only downside is the program to use it need Windows.. Wine doesn't work.