PDA

View Full Version : iPad's effect on Flash, or Flash's effect on ipad?

Warpnow
February 2nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
This thread is not a general discussion of the ipad, and for that reason I hope it doesn't get closed or sent to recurring, but I suppose we'll see. I've been spent some time wondering, which will have greater impact on the internet? Will websites move away from flash because of ipad users, or will people move away from the ipad because it doesn't have flash?

Grenage
February 2nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Flash is overused but it's not going anywhere fast; certainly not become of some designer kindle.

ve4cib
February 2nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
I can't bring myself to believe that the number of iPad users will actually be sufficient to create that much of a "down with Flash" movement among web developers. There will likely be more flash-free versions of pages (especially pages designed for mobile devices), but Flash will still exist, and will continue to be used.

If/when developers start moving away from Flash it will be because a new, obviously better technology is available to replace it. Not because "some designer Kindle" doesn't support it.

Kobalt
February 2nd, 2010, 04:44 PM
If anything helps going away from Flash massively and adopting HTML5 instead, then fine by be. Be it Apple or anyone else.

Xbehave
February 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Apple fanboys will still buy the iPad
Games still need flash
<video> support is limited and divided (apple are pushing h.264 while mozilla (with ~50% browser share) only support Theora because they want an actually open web)
video websites still need flash for IE support
video websites that choose Theora will still to encode everything once for iphone/ipad anyway
video websites that choose h.264 will still need to use flash for mozilla anyway

so i think it's safe to say it will have no effect on anything.

If anything helps going away from Flash massively and adopting HTML5 instead, then fine by be. Be it Apple or anyone else.
Apple are pushing a patented alternative, dropping a prop plugin for a patented de-facto HTML standard nobody can implement without paying is not a step forward, it's a step backwards. H.264 as the de-facto video tag is what apple want and it's bad for opensource, bad for open standards and bad for the web.

Kobalt
February 2nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Apple are pushing a patented alternative, dropping a prop plugin for a patented de-facto HTML standard nobody can implement without paying is not a step forward, it's a step backwards. H.264 as the de-facto video tag is what apple want and it's bad for opensource, bad for open standards and bad for the web.

With that I agree.

TheNessus
February 2nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
This thread is not a general discussion of the ipad, and for that reason I hope it doesn't get closed or sent to recurring, but I suppose we'll see. I've been spent some time wondering, which will have greater impact on the internet? Will websites move away from flash because of ipad users, or will people move away from the ipad because it doesn't have flash?

Flash will die once everyone moves to HTML5 (except Apple, so apple loses both ends...hahaha!)