PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Linux or BSD distro that works good with tablet computers by default?

HappinessNow
February 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
With the new focus on tablet computers, not just the iPad but all tablets and laptop/tablet convertibles is there a Linux or BSD distro that works great by default with a tablet? either or both with an active digitizer or passive?

I heard Crunchbang does but I am not sure?

Psumi
February 2nd, 2010, 01:37 PM
*laughs*

With all the issues I had with my old Wacom tablet...?

HappinessNow
February 2nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
*laughs*

With all the issues I had with my old Wacom tablet...?Wacom tablets are essential if your doing digital painting. :p

I've had mine for 4+ years and no problems to mention, still good as new and it works flawlessly

Psumi
February 2nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Wacom tablets are essential if your doing digital painting. :p

I've had mine for 4+ years and no problems to mention, still good as new and it works flawlessly

Back in 2007 or so, I had bought a new wacom tablet, didn't work at all with ubuntu, unless I compiled the drivers myself, made a configuration file from scratch, and a whole bunch of whatnot extra.

In the end, I tried three to five times to make it work, and it always had issues, such as the screen not syncing with the tablet, or the tablet was stuck in non-landscape mode, etc.

HappinessNow
February 2nd, 2010, 01:49 PM
Back in 2007 or so, I had bought a new wacom tablet, didn't work at all with ubuntu, unless I compiled the drivers myself, made a configuration file from scratch, and a whole bunch of whatnot extra.

In the end, I tried three to five times to make it work, and it always had issues, such as the screen not syncing with the tablet, or the tablet was stuck in non-landscape mode, etc.So you have yet to find a distro that works good with a tablet. I am using XP on my tablet still.

Psumi
February 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
So you have yet to find a distro that works good with a tablet. I am using XP on my tablet still.

It worked great in windows XP media center edition, yes. But not ubuntu. I got rid of the tablet though, my hands were too shaky, and it never got any better.

HappinessNow
February 2nd, 2010, 01:54 PM
It worked great in windows XP media center edition, yes. But not ubuntu. I got rid of the tablet though, my hands were too shaky, and it never got any better.sorry to hear about the shaky hands; did you get the tablet to do digital painting?

Psumi
February 2nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
sorry to hear about the shaky hands; did you get the tablet to do digital painting?

I wanted to use it to color my drawings, because I suck at inkscape, and flash didn't work with linux.

If there was a flash for linux, I wouldn't have needed the tablet due to flash's unique way of bending lines.

HappinessNow
February 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
I wanted to use it to color my drawings, because I suck at inkscape, and flash didn't work with linux.

If there was a flash for linux, I wouldn't have needed the tablet due to flash's unique way of bending lines.

You may be interested in the American artist Chuck Close:

Though a catastrophic spinal artery collapse in 1988 left him severely paralyzed, he has continued to paint and produce work which remains sought after by museums and collectors.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Close

fascinating artist!