PDA

View Full Version : Alienware m11x

Fraser1987
February 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to see if any body has purchased the new Alienware m11x sub gaming notebook?. I was going to purchase one today but due to the lack of reviews on Google and You-Tube I wasn't really sure.

I did have a Pentium 3 and 4 notebook but these are now out-dated and do not work as well as they possibly can. Would ubuntu work ok via a usb pen drive on the Alienware m11x with the 335m 1gb video card, etc ( by nvidia ).

:)

Psumi
February 2nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
Best Buy won't carry that in retail stores; online only because of it's 800 USD price tag. No doubt they will also notch up the price to 999 USD here in Wisconsin.

I hate buying online, sorry.

Also note, I hate netbooks, so I will never get this.

Also note, that the processor is 1.3 GHz, why would you get that for gaming? Flash requires at least a 2 GHz single-core non-HT processor (according to Adobe's website.)

Fraser1987
February 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
It's not actually a net book. I have seen one video on you tube where you can play COD4 MW2 at 30fps on maximum settings. Not sure if that includes Anti-Aliasing etc and you can have a 256GB SSD and upto 8GB of memory.

Psumi
February 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
It's not actually a net book. I have seen one video on you tube where you can play COD4 MW2 at 30fps on maximum settings. Not sure if that includes Anti-Aliasing etc and you can have a 256GB SSD and upto 8GB of memory.

it still only has an 11 inch screen. So it must probably not have a CD Drive on-board, which makes it a netbook.

stmiller
February 2nd, 2010, 03:11 PM
it still only has an 11 inch screen. So it must probably not have a CD Drive on-board, which makes it a netbook.

Ummm no. Not a netbook. :)

Psumi
February 2nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Ummm no. Not a netbook. :)

How is it NOT a netbook with that screen size and no cd/dvd drive? As well as that very low processor speed (even for HT)?

Also, CNET said it would retail for 1000 USD.

pwnst*r
February 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Best Buy won't carry that in retail stores; online only because of it's 800 USD price tag. No doubt they will also notch up the price to 999 USD here in Wisconsin.

I hate buying online, sorry.

Also note, I hate netbooks, so I will never get this.

Also note, that the processor is 1.3 GHz, why would you get that for gaming? Flash requires at least a 2 GHz single-core non-HT processor (according to Adobe's website.)

Lol, it'll do flash just fine. It's also NOT a netbook no matter what people say. Needs 2Ghz to do flash LOL.

Also, it plays left for dead2 totally fine, so I'm sure flash isn't an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1BdWINKHuk

Grenage
February 2nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Jesus, I know Flash is getting a bit chunky these days, but 2Ghz?

Psumi
February 2nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Lol, it'll do flash just fine. It's also NOT a netbook no matter what people say. Needs 2Ghz to do flash LOL.

See recommended hardware on this page: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/

Also, with a 1.6 GHz single-core, sometimes flash will cause my system to slow way down.

I don't have 64 MB of VRAM either (32 MB)

pwnst*r
February 2nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
Read my edited post.

Psumi
February 2nd, 2010, 03:20 PM
Read my edited post.

I still would rather have a mobile system with a CD/DVD Drive.

pwnst*r
February 2nd, 2010, 03:22 PM

I was proving your point regarding flash wrong.

Psumi
February 2nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
I was proving your point regarding flash wrong.

And we all know how flash hates linux, or is it linux hates flash?

Anyway, enough about flash. I want my CD/DVD Drive back, kthxbai.

zeronothing
February 7th, 2010, 07:34 AM
if you order it online you can configure this bad boy with a intel dual core instead of the default 1.3 single core. trust me, this bad boy can do flash. If my 901 EEE pc can run flash, the Alienware m11x can do flash or any other type of media application.

3rdalbum
February 7th, 2010, 08:34 AM

Then don't buy it.

Lack of optical drive does NOT make it a netbook. A netbook is an ultra-portable, low-priced, low-powered system for browsing the web. The Alienware computer is not a netbook, because it's not low-priced or low-powered, and it's not made for browsing the web and doing e-mail. It's made for gaming! It just happens to be very small and portable, which makes it an "ultraportable" or "ULV" laptop, not a netbook.

pwnst*r
February 7th, 2010, 03:55 PM
And we all know how flash hates linux, or is it linux hates flash?

Anyway, enough about flash. I want my CD/DVD Drive back, kthxbai.

...but most of the public doesn't, so good luck with that.

Changturkey
February 7th, 2010, 05:40 PM
It's a CULV laptop, not a netbook. Lrn2computer.

soleblaze
February 8th, 2010, 08:31 PM
It's an ultra portable gaming laptop. Netbooks are all atom processor or old pentium based. Of course, the way the netbook name is going we'll see a 17" netbook before long. With this one you can overclock the processor to 1.73Ghz. Has a Geforce 335M card. It'll run flash, although it'll probably max out the CPU (unless you can do GPU offload to nvidia cards).. flash is a horrible way to do video.