PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Installation CD not detected

vaibhaw
February 2nd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Hi

I tried installing Ubuntu 9.10 in my system but the cd is not detected.

I have Dell inspiron 1520 and dvd drive is GSA-T21N.

Other CDs are working fine.

ImperialXT
February 2nd, 2010, 08:23 AM
did you try the disc on another machine?

lindsay7
February 2nd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Where did you get the disk? If you downloaded it, did you burn the disk as an ISO image. That is what in has to be, If you just downloaded the Ubuntu file and burned a disk of the file, it will not be detected. It must be an iso image.

oupamster
February 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
you can get an iso here

http://releases.ubuntu.com/karmic/

oupamster
February 2nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
you can get an iso here

http://releases.ubuntu.com/karmic/

vaibhaw
February 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
did you try the disc on another machine?

The disk is working fine on other systems..

vaibhaw
February 2nd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Where did you get the disk? If you downloaded it, did you burn the disk as an ISO image. That is what in has to be, If you just downloaded the Ubuntu file and burned a disk of the file, it will not be detected. It must be an iso image.

I got the CD delivered.

Thanks.

lindsay7
February 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Is your bios set to start off of a cd or dvd???

vaibhaw
February 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Is your bios set to start off of a cd or dvd???

Yes, It boots from Vista CD...

Thanks

lindsay7
February 3rd, 2010, 09:09 AM
Are you putting the Ubuntu cd in the cd drive and starting your computer up with the cd in the drive. That is the way it is supposed to work.

vaibhaw
February 3rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
Are you putting the Ubuntu cd in the cd drive and starting your computer up with the cd in the drive. That is the way it is supposed to work.

Yes. I have tried around 10 times.
CD is not even detected when I simply try to run it.

Thanks.

lindsay7
February 3rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
If the disk works in other computers as you have said and it will not start up from a power off start up with the ubuntu install disk in place, then I would have to guess that your cd drive is bad.

TBABill
February 3rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
Windows CD's can boot without you going into the Bios, otherwise more people would complain and be unable to get things going even on a Windows computer. Your Ubuntu disk requires you placing the CD before the HD in your bios boot sequence in order to have it boot from the CD. What order do you have your drives or devices set to boot in? I would check the bios sequence again and make sure your settings are saved before exiting, then reboot. If it still doesn't work, as the statement above says, your CD is likely defective or not detected by your bios.

vaibhaw
February 4th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks!!
I will try another CD and that doesn't work, will try another cd drive.