PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Hardware Detection

sirukin
February 4th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Okay, a beef I have with alot of distro's is how they deal with hardware detection.
I don't dislike the hotplug system per se, just the way configuration is done.
Perhaps along with synaptic, the Ubuntu team *should* package a safe delivery system for hardware configuration, the conf files are tweaked, and thusly, I am pinned up against someone with a similiar hardware component and both of us can compare our settings with each others. I.E, I plug in new monitor, it's identified, compared against the nets configuration, I choose whether or not I would like to try anothers configuration. Of course, for most types of hardware you'd need to limit the values available to each system. So, I cannot enter some insane high value for my crt's refresh rate. Just a thought.

CowPie
February 4th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Okay, a beef I have with alot of distro's is how they deal with hardware detection.
I don't dislike the hotplug system per se, just the way configuration is done.
Perhaps along with synaptic, the Ubuntu team *should* package a safe delivery system for hardware configuration, the conf files are tweaked, and thusly, I am pinned up against someone with a similiar hardware component and both of us can compare our settings with each others. I.E, I plug in new monitor, it's identified, compared against the nets configuration, I choose whether or not I would like to try anothers configuration. Of course, for most types of hardware you'd need to limit the values available to each system. So, I cannot enter some insane high value for my crt's refresh rate. Just a thought.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but when I plugged ina new monitor, my xorg.conf didn't change. I had to do it myself which annoyed me..