PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dual Boot - Windows Reinstall - Issues?

bluetomgold
February 2nd, 2010, 04:57 AM
My old-ish Dell laptop is currently running Windows 2000 and Ubuntu 9.10. I originally installed 2000 to try and squeeze a bit more performance out of the laptop for general use, but in practise Ubuntu is running great and sees far more use than the Win2K installation so I've decided to create a stripped-down (i.e. non-networked) XP installation purely to run a few favourite audio applications.

I plan to do a fresh Windows install and wipe the current C: partition. Is there anything I should be aware of in terms of the GRUB bootloader. Will it simply recognise the new XP installation? Obviously I will back up my data before I continue, but are there any other precautions to take with respect to dual-booting? I could do without having to reinstall Ubuntu too!

Thanks!

kansasnoob
February 2nd, 2010, 05:18 AM
Boot into Ubuntu and run:

grub-install -v

Then we'll know what version of grub you have.

bluetomgold
February 2nd, 2010, 05:22 AM
Gnu grub 0.97

kansasnoob
February 2nd, 2010, 06:05 AM
Gnu grub 0.97

Then follow the "How to restore the Ubuntu grub bootloader (9.04 and older)" steps here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

I realize you have 9.10 but it was obviously an upgrade from 9.04, or you've converted to legacy grub.

bluetomgold
February 2nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks - worked a treat! In the boot menu it still shows up as "Windows 2000" but I'm not about to lose any sleep over that.