PDA

View Full Version : Only Windows Users can eat Nestle Breakfast Cereal...

speedwell68
February 2nd, 2010, 12:26 AM
Nestle have an offer for discount coupons on their Breakfast cereals. It can be found here...

http://www.nestle-cerealoffers.co.uk/default.aspx

So I filled in the registration, input the offer code and chose to print my discount coupons. It then prompted me to install a Windows only program to print the coupons. There is no option for Mac or Linux. This really annoys me. They have done the decent thing and given a postal option, but that is not the point.

-__-
February 2nd, 2010, 12:34 AM
http://f.imagehost.org/0681/poordude.jpg

ericmc783
February 2nd, 2010, 12:36 AM
perhaps install virtualbox, and use a windows XP virtual machine, install the program there?

speedwell68
February 2nd, 2010, 12:38 AM
perhaps install virtualbox, and use a windows XP virtual machine, install the program there?

I have got virtualbox with XP and W7, but I really don't see why I should bother.

wojox
February 2nd, 2010, 12:38 AM
Nestle have an offer for discount coupons on their Breakfast cereals. It can be found here...

So I filled in the registration, input the offer code and chose to print my discount coupons. It then prompted me to install a Windows only program to print the coupons. There is no option for Mac or Linux. This really annoys me. They have done the decent thing and given a postal option, but that is not the point.

And windows users wonder how they get so much malware on their computer.

samantha_
February 2nd, 2010, 12:39 AM

thats not really the point. There should be equal support for both windows, mac, and linux, instead of making us resort to virtulization or mail-ins.

speedwell68
February 2nd, 2010, 12:44 AM
And windows users wonder how they get so much malware on their computer.

That is my other concern. I am supposed to install an unknown piece of software from what could be a bogus website, I would have second thoughts even if I was a Windows user.

Regenweald
February 2nd, 2010, 01:00 AM
thats not really the point. There should be equal support for both windows, mac, and linux, instead of making us resort to virtulization or mail-ins.

Windows, mac and Linux only ? why stop there? what about Unix, BSD and Amiga users ? yes, the cereal company should spend extra development money to make sure no OS is left out for potential coupon redeemers, OR, they could just put out a dinkey lil app for the platform that 99% or more of the world's cereal eaters use. :rolleyes:
way to stand your moral grounds FOSSuser.

wojox
February 2nd, 2010, 01:02 AM
That is my other concern. I am supposed to install an unknown piece of software from what could be a bogus website, I would have second thoughts even if I was a Windows user.

Yeah you shouldn't have to download any special software to print a coupon unless their is something shady going on.

speedwell68
February 2nd, 2010, 01:13 AM
Windows, mac and Linux only ? why stop there? what about Unix, BSD and Amiga users ? yes, the cereal company should spend extra development money to make sure no OS is left out for potential coupon redeemers, OR, they could just put out a dinkey lil app for the platform that 99% or more of the world's cereal eaters use. :rolleyes:

The thing is they have over developed it. I have subscribed to this kind of thing before and you entered the unique code given with the product and could print the coupon, you only had one chance to do it.

DeadSuperHero
February 2nd, 2010, 02:07 AM
You can have your Nestle cereal. I'd rather be having King Vitamin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Vitaman) anyways.

dmizer
February 2nd, 2010, 02:45 AM
The fact that you need to install a special app just to print the coupon is a sign (as has already been noted) that the app is either malicious or untrustworthy.

But, let's assume that the app is NOT malicious. Then the problem is that the company is using an alternative method for printing and that their alternative method is Windows only. Since any computer attached to a printer already has printing software and can print perfectly well without this company's app, the app is not necessary. So, by developing a special app, they have (intentionally or unintentionally) eliminated the possibility of Linux or Mac (or any other non-Windows OS) from making use of their service.

This is a perfectly legitimate reason for standing on moral grounds as a Linux user.

toupeiro
February 2nd, 2010, 02:53 AM
The fact that you need to install a special app just to print the coupon is a sign (as has already been noted) that the app is either malicious or untrustworthy.

But, let's assume that the app is NOT malicious. Then the problem is that the company is using an alternative method for printing and that their alternative method is Windows only. Since any computer attached to a printer already has printing software and can print perfectly well without this company's app, the app is not necessary. So, by developing a special app, they have (intentionally or unintentionally) eliminated the possibility of Linux or Mac (or any other non-Windows OS) from making use of their service.

This is a perfectly legitimate reason for standing on moral grounds as a Linux user.

Of course, there is plenty more morality examples for you to choose from than to take your stand on cereal coupons... In fact, I'd venture to say your energy would be better spent if you left it out of your case and point. This is just my own opinion, of course.

Dr. C
February 2nd, 2010, 02:55 AM

They are likely using some kind of DRM scheme to print the coupons. The sort of thing that would likely cause problems on a Windows computer anyway including creating a back door for malware and viruses. (remember the SONY Rootkit?) The solution is simple buy a competitive brand of cereal. It would likely be healthier, if one picks a smaller natural brand, anyway.

dmizer
February 2nd, 2010, 03:05 AM
Of course, there is plenty more morality examples for you to choose from than to take your stand on cereal coupons... In fact, I'd venture to say your energy would be better spent if you left it out of your case and point. This is just my own opinion, of course.

I just said that it was legitimate, I didn't suggest that it was a good idea. ;)

toupeiro
February 2nd, 2010, 03:09 AM
I just said that it was legitimate, I didn't suggest that it was a good idea. ;)

I hear ya. ;) Just thought that should be said before I see picketing and FOSS signs in isle 12. :P

MasterNetra
February 2nd, 2010, 03:35 AM
The fact that you need to install a special app just to print the coupon is a sign (as has already been noted) that the app is either malicious or untrustworthy...

Not necessarily the app maybe needed to create coupons with unique bar codes...though I would think it could and/or should be done from the site...someone with the know how should hack the crap out the program and look under the hood to see what it is it does exactly.

chucky chuckaluck
February 2nd, 2010, 04:23 AM
the sequel to the boston tea party - the cereal party.

jimrz
February 2nd, 2010, 06:01 AM
i have got virtualbox with xp and w7, but i really don't see why i should bother.

+1

ctrlmd
February 2nd, 2010, 06:02 AM
i guess you are going to be annoyed a lot :lol:

Warpnow
February 2nd, 2010, 06:28 AM
Even on windows, i wouldn't install some random program I don't really know what is doing in order to print coupons.

Khakilang
February 2nd, 2010, 07:20 AM
Beware of malware, spyware, virus and rookit. They are up to something I can tell. Only Window allow them to do just that.

baddog144
February 2nd, 2010, 07:46 AM
That's pretty much the price you pay for using Linux. It's not a perfect world.

Icehuck
February 2nd, 2010, 07:53 AM
The coupon printing software isn't malicious and quite a few sites use it for coupons.

Thank you and have a good night.

mikkie
February 2nd, 2010, 08:15 AM
These dudes from Microsoft are undeniably evil! Now they are messing with the geeks' cereals! Shame on them.

murderslastcrow
February 2nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
It'll make your life easier to boycott the things that would make you use Wine or VirtualBox, since it reinforces the need to develop cross-platform applications, as well as giving you a less cumbersome lifestyle as far as computers go.

Of course, you could take advantage of their postal option and send an email making it clear that there is a desire for this service on more than the Windows platform. A lot of the problem is people talking about it here, and the company has no idea.

However, I would have to acknowledge that we shouldn't have to coerce companies into writing cross-platform software, and that it would be responsible to develop with a wide audience and compatibility in mind. This is becoming less of an issue as time goes on, however.

But really, until Wine is PERFECT, it would be a good idea to make some short emails or petitions considering these things. If you can communicate with the right department, there would at least be some form of recognition.

squilookle
February 2nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
You shouldn't have to install special software, malicious or not. That's ridiculous.

I don't like nestle cereal anyway, I think their latest adverts are very patronising ("look! There's a green banner on the box! It proves you getting whole grain!" (I always imagine at this point they will say - "because you're too stupid to read the ingredients!") All done in a patronising voice too... )

Swarms
February 2nd, 2010, 09:17 AM
If that is the worst thing that will overcome you...

jwbrase
February 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
You shouldn't have to install special software, malicious or not. That's ridiculous.

I don't like nestle cereal anyway, I think their latest adverts are very patronising ("look! There's a green banner on the box! It proves you getting whole grain!" (I always imagine at this point they will say - "because you're too stupid to read the ingredients!") All done in a patronising voice too... )

Exactly. The big question is why, whether you're using Windows or not and whether the software in question is malicious or not, you are falling for dumb marketing ploys.

audiomick
February 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM

I don't like Nestle full stop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestle

3rdalbum
February 2nd, 2010, 12:56 PM
You should eat a breakfast cereal where the manufacturer expliticly supports Linux, by contributing the recipe upstream to the kernel.

Alternatively, all the cereal manufacturers should get together and come up with a standard cereal-to-computer API. That way, all future breakfast cereals will work with all operating systems that support the standard API.

audiomick
February 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
You should eat a breakfast cereal where the manufacturer expliticly supports Linux, by contributing the recipe upstream to the kernel.

Alternatively, all the cereal manufacturers should get together and come up with a standard cereal-to-computer API. That way, all future breakfast cereals will work with all operating systems that support the standard API.

bewdy mate!

forrestcupp
February 2nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
I have got virtualbox with XP and W7, but I really don't see why I should bother.Well, if it annoys you enough to make a thread like this, and they're not going to support Linux, that is why you should bother with it.

Not necessarily the app maybe needed to create coupons with unique bar codes...though I would think it could and/or should be done from the site...someone with the know how should hack the crap out the program and look under the hood to see what it is it does exactly.+1
Every online coupon printing site I've seen uses downloadable software to do it. They have to generate unique and viable coupons because believe it or not, there are people who try to counterfeit coupons and use them in illegal ways (http://www.counterfeitcoupons.com/).

That's pretty much the price you pay for using Linux. It's not a perfect world.+1
When you installed Linux, you knew that there would be compatibility issues. You have to make some sacrifices to get the benefits of Linux. If you don't think Linux is worth making sacrifices for, you should go back to Windows.

nothingspecial
February 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
If that is the worst thing that will overcome you...

Yeah, you could have a pot of Marmite, with FREE HORRID HENRY AUDIOBOOKS emblazoned all over it.

And when you try to download them you need to install windows software.

And have 2 kids that love Horrid Henry.

Count yourself lucky.

audiomick
February 2nd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah, you could have a pot of Marmite,

Who eats Marmite? Vegemite rules!!!

nothingspecial
February 2nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Yeah, but vegemite doesn`t come with free Horrid Henry audio books.

Well, neither does marmite if you don`t have windows or a mac.

SuperSonic4
February 2nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
That's pretty much the price you pay for using Linux. It's not a perfect world.

+1

Also £5 off cereal? Most cereals are about £2 for a standard box

Edit: Marmite is nasty so it's fair bet vegemite is too

pwnst*r
February 2nd, 2010, 10:15 PM

Your title is misleading.

wsonar
February 2nd, 2010, 10:19 PM

I think the point is not having a choice

pwnst*r
February 2nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
I think the point is not having a choice

Well you do in a way, you just don't get a discount ;D

days_of_ruin
February 2nd, 2010, 10:59 PM

How about not making an unnecessary crap application to print a coupon in the first place?

doas777
February 2nd, 2010, 11:04 PM
I have got virtualbox with XP and W7, but I really don't see why I should bother.
don't. the coupon printers are malware.

Chronon
February 2nd, 2010, 11:38 PM

Or they could simply deploy a server-side app/script to generate the coupons, allowing anyone with a modern browser to get access to the coupons.

LightB
February 2nd, 2010, 11:51 PM
Install it in hopes for malware then sue.

doorknob60
February 3rd, 2010, 12:59 AM
Hmm...anything wrong with having coupons in ya know...HTML? Or...PDF? What an original idea...

Ji Ruo
February 3rd, 2010, 02:58 AM
Marmite is nasty so it's fair bet vegemite is too

Think engine grease and rusty nails.

Ji Ruo
February 3rd, 2010, 03:06 AM
Your solution of course is to persuade Canonical to make their own cereal... they can be shaped as the ubuntu logo, like malignant cheerios.

And orange. Lots of orange.

audiomick
February 3rd, 2010, 03:52 AM
Edit: Marmite is nasty so it's fair bet vegemite is too

I'll have you know that Vegemite is an excellent source of Vitamin B.
But I have to admit, you have to grow up with it...;)