PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Softwares offline

possible181
February 1st, 2010, 11:18 PM
Hi Guys,
How can i download software and then install then offline because my internet is MAN (windows VPN). How can download the vpn client from an internet-enabled pc and then install it to my No-Internet PC having Ubuntu?

gnack
February 1st, 2010, 11:26 PM
There might be a more graceful way to do this (I'm searching now), but a quick and dirty way is to download the packages from packages.ubuntu.com (i.e. deb files like "abiword-common_2.6.8-5ubuntu2_all.deb"), copy these files to the no-internet PC, and install them with:

$ dpkg -i something.deb

Be sure to download dependent packages as well.

possible181
February 2nd, 2010, 02:03 AM
That's what making me worried! i keep digging and digging into dependencies of each package.

Isn't there a solution from ubuntu which ask or inform me to download all required files?

I have plan to switch completely to Ubuntu but if this remains the case then Ubuntu is disappointing me. and i am in love with Ubuntu now!

Please help!

mac9416
February 3rd, 2010, 01:44 AM
Howdy, possible181,

i keep digging and digging into dependencies of each package.

You should take a look at Keryx (http://keryxproject.org). Keryx works much like Synaptic, but you can install packages for an offline machine from any online computer. It runs in Windows and Linux.

Let me know how that works!

possible181
February 8th, 2010, 08:08 PM
im doing jst fine mac!
u r a life saver!
im jst trying it.

let u know, ok.
yea thats should be a myth by now!
cheers