PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install on dell poweredge 2550

ride_hard12
February 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM
I am trying to install ubuntu server 9.10 on two dell poweredge 2550 servers that I have at work and I can't get the install to complete on either. I saw some posts somewhere saying that it could be bad memory in the computers so I even put brand new memory in each, which needed upgraded anyway but the install still fails. The install usually hangs when trying to detect network drivers and it also hangs on some other file (I forget now). I remember I had an older version of linux on one of them before. The install says the file is corrupted on the cd. I have burned multiple cd's in different drives on different computers using the lowest speed on all of them, and all install attempts fail. I can even take the exact same cd's and install in vmware on my mac so I know for a fact the cd's are fine. What makes me more confused is that I can install windows server 2003 without a hitch on both the servers I am trying to install Ubuntu on. Any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

darkod
February 1st, 2010, 07:42 PM
I am trying to install ubuntu server 9.10 on two dell poweredge 2550 servers that I have at work and I can't get the install to complete on either. I saw some posts somewhere saying that it could be bad memory in the computers so I even put brand new memory in each, which needed upgraded anyway but the install still fails. The install usually hangs when trying to detect network drivers and it also hangs on some other file (I forget now). I remember I had an older version of linux on one of them before. The install says the file is corrupted on the cd. I have burned multiple cd's in different drives on different computers using the lowest speed on all of them, and all install attempts fail. I can even take the exact same cd's and install in vmware on my mac so I know for a fact the cd's are fine. What makes me more confused is that I can install windows server 2003 without a hitch on both the servers I am trying to install Ubuntu on. Any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help you except to tell you that I've seen threads for this particular Dell 2550 that many people are not able to install on them. Not sure why, maybe if you investigate the matter more or google can help depending how you compose the search sentence.

ride_hard12
February 1st, 2010, 08:13 PM
Ya I've spent a few hours trying to research, but I can't seems to find much. I was hoping I could get a few answers on here.

darkod
February 1st, 2010, 08:16 PM
Well, take a look here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1026616&highlight=dell+2550

and then this lists all threads where dell 2550 is mentioned:
http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=69662623