PDA

View Full Version : Is there a name for this?

undecim
February 1st, 2010, 07:07 PM
Having been a Linux user for around five years, I've become quite accustomed to the shell. One of my favorite things about bash is its auto complete feature which I use liberally on the command line. I've gotten so used to it, I never type out complete commands anymore.

In fact I use it so much, that I've begun to expect the tab button to read my mind and complete my words for me, even words that I don't use on the command line. I try to use it on the forums, blogs, and pretty much anywhere on the computer -- even on words or phrases that a human might not be able to complete without guessing.

This is especially annoying when asking someone on the support forums to run a command. I hit tab to try to complete the command and end up having to stop typing, press shift+tab, finish the command manually, and keep typing.

I can't be the only one. I know someone else must do this, and someone must have created a name for it. If not, we should make one.

Xbehave
February 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM
There's an addon for that: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4891

(don't use it myself so can't review it, but if you know vim chances are it'll be great for you, otherwise it might be tweakable to only have tab completion)

kayvortex
February 1st, 2010, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I do this for things that can't even possibly be completed without the shell being able to read my mind, like trying to tab complete a number. And if anyone reading this doesn't fully realise the stupidity of trying to tab complete an arbitrary number, then try it!

Name? I can only think of calling it "tab delusion". Or, as I will now call it, "tablution". (Since "ablution" means "to wash away", it is the delusion that tab will wash away your need to type things out for yourself.)

chewearn
February 1st, 2010, 07:35 PM
Occasionally, I got a different (but probably related) delusion. Which is that, whenever I did something which I should have done or regreted, I mentally reached for the "undo" button and find that there is no "undo" button in real life.

oedipuss
February 1st, 2010, 07:44 PM
Sometimes I have the urge to ctrl-f or alt-tab when reading a book, and realize there's no keyboard, and paper doesn't do that, in that order :P

Those types of things must be getting pretty common , now that I think of it..

Sporkman
February 1st, 2010, 07:52 PM
I sometimes have to go through the extra realization step that I can't cut & paste real-life (i.e. non-digitized) data or conduct searches on it.