PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Beware scam

Trisket
February 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM
This is unrelated to ubuntu, but just to warn people. I recently responded to an add for It professionals on craigslist, the reply i got was a total scam(imagine that?). Anyways, It was from a guy named Mark marley who wrote me from the email address Marleyassociates@gmail.com. Anyways he apparently wanted to send me 6 laptops for work and wanted all my information, I'm sure to commit fraud of some kind. I asked for his address, for authentication this wasn't a scam. He gave me an address in Denver Colorado and a phone number in Seatle. Plus his company is Bs and nothing close to that came up when i googled the address..I found someone with the same experience with this scam on another forum, maybe unrelated to the forum but i figure as a community we should keep each other informed..but anyways here's the fake info he gave me...
Marley Associates
8300 e. yale ave
denver, CO 80231
206-666-3188

neotype
February 1st, 2010, 08:31 PM
I have same the experience with this scam, except I gave up name, address, and cell number. What can/should I do to protect myself now? Wish I have read this post earlier. ><;

neotype
February 1st, 2010, 08:56 PM
I sent the email to Mark marley (Marleyassociates@gmail.com) and ask for explanation about this. If this is a scam, I will report this to legal authority and do whatever it take to protect my personal info.

Flight Orchestra
February 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM
i just replied to the same job post. Mark Marley (marleyassociates@gmail.com) got back to me, asking for my rate quote on potential services rendered. I relayed some of my mailing information back to him.

i will let you all know what, if anything, happens. I couldnt find anything specific on Marley Associates as a company which made me concerned...

Flight Orchestra
February 1st, 2010, 09:33 PM
Here is the reply I just received from Mark Marley (marleyassociates@gmail.com):

---------------
Hello,
thank you for your response concerning the Repairs. In order to conclude ourarrangement concerning repairing of the laptops, Like I told you my secretary will have the payment mailed out to you. The payment will be a check of $2,900, More so the shipping fee for the laptops to be delivered back to my place will be added to the payment in which will be be a check of $2,900 and you will have to deduct the money for the Service from the check which is $300 and the rest will be sent to the shipper as soon as you have the cash available. I'll look forward to hearing from you to assure me you can handle this with all perfection. Regards and God Bless Please, do confirm the information you have provided me for payment to be mailed out to your address:

Thank you,
Let me know If you have Agreed to help handle the shippers fee smoothly by sending out the funds via either western union

----------------------

seems fishy you guys...I'm going to report this as a scam to Craigslist

neotype
February 1st, 2010, 09:47 PM
---------------
Hello,
thank you for your response concerning the Repairs. In order to conclude ourarrangement concerning repairing of the laptops, Like I told you my secretary will have the payment mailed out to you. The payment will be a check of $2,900, More so the shipping fee for the laptops to be delivered back to my place will be added to the payment in which will be be a check of $2,900 and you will have to deduct the money for the Service from the check which is $300 and the rest will be sent to the shipper as soon as you have the cash available. I'll look forward to hearing from you to assure me you can handle this with all perfection. Regards and God Bless Please, do confirm the information you have provided me for payment to be mailed out to your address:

Thank you,
Let me know If you have Agreed to help handle the shippers fee smoothly by sending out the funds via either western union

----------------------

This is the exactly reply I got!!

Flight Orchestra
February 1st, 2010, 10:09 PM
yeah, what a drag. I reported it to Craigslist as a scam

ld.4lpha
February 1st, 2010, 11:03 PM
I have same the experience with this scam, except I gave up name, address, and cell number. What can/should I do to protect myself now? Wish I have read this post earlier. ><;

If that is the extent of the information you gave out, I wouldn't worry about it; I wouldn't regard that info as sensitive.

OpSecShellshock
February 2nd, 2010, 02:14 AM
It's kind of painful to read and follow, but here's what I think the setup is: it looks like advance fee fraud. They send you more than what you asked for and tell you to deposit the whole thing, then send them back the difference after you deduct your fee. So you deposit their check, which is no good (account maybe doesn't even exist), and immediately send them one of yours, which will either get there in time for them to cash before your bank sees that theirs was bad or at the very least will give them your checking account and routing numbers. In the former scenario you overdraw your account by $2600. In the latter they can authorize electronic check payments with your accounts (because the ACH system doesn't authenticate human identities).

The other possibility is that they send you stolen laptops, and have you ship them "back" to their "owners" who are entirely different people, thereby making you an intermediary in their fencing of stolen goods.

Flight Orchestra
February 2nd, 2010, 03:10 AM
ugh! all this while just looking for some part time work.
thx for the replies y'all. i feel mildly embarrassed to have taken the bait.. but am glad to share my experiences. i dont think i gave any volatile info away about myself which is the positive here. also, i reported the gmail address as a phisher
:rolleyes: