PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 + edubuntu as dual boot

Kai69
February 1st, 2010, 05:39 PM
I have 9.10 installed on my Dell xps m1330 320gb HDD I want to add ebubuntu as dual boot so my kids can learn to use said distro and learn to use LINUX..

At the moment 145626 How much space do you think I should use as a minimum for the dual boot install. The iso is 3.3GB on its own.... Do you think I would have any problems with said install or GRUB.
Any suggestions would be helpful...

warfacegod
February 2nd, 2010, 12:34 AM
Installation requires at least 2.5 GB of disk space, a CPU of at least 1 GHz, and 256 MB of RAM plus an additional 128 MB of RAM per thin client (e.g. a server driving two clients should have at least 512 MB RAM).

From the Edubuntu System Requirements.

Kai69
February 2nd, 2010, 12:38 AM
Whats the extra gig for on the iso then

warfacegod
February 2nd, 2010, 12:39 AM
Either the 32 or 64 should fit onto a 4 GB jump drive.

Considering your drive space, I'd go with around 20 GB.

warfacegod
February 2nd, 2010, 12:41 AM
Whats the extra gig for on the iso then

Don't know. Normally an .iso is quite a bit smaller than the actual install.

Kai69
February 2nd, 2010, 12:44 AM
Tried that 4gb usb stick fomatted FAT# used USB STARTUP DISK CREATOR install gets error about 40 odd %

lisati
February 2nd, 2010, 12:44 AM
The edubuntu distro is specialized stuff for education. The last time I checked it was a CD that had add-ons for a regular Ubuntu installation.

Kai69
February 2nd, 2010, 12:46 AM

warfacegod
February 2nd, 2010, 12:49 AM
You could create a dual boot with another Ubuntu 9.10 install and then add the edubuntu-desktop package.

Kai69
February 2nd, 2010, 12:54 AM
Hi lisati Im trying to do a dual boot reg 9.10. for me and seperate install of edubntu for my kids to use so they can learn LINUX I dont need all the education stuff thats why the dual boot .

Kai69
February 2nd, 2010, 12:57 AM
So what have I done wrong with the USB stick Cant use dvd writer its playing up,,

warfacegod
February 2nd, 2010, 01:08 AM
So what have I done wrong with the USB stick Cant use dvd writer its playing up,,

Try it again and check "Discard on Shutdown..."

Kai69
February 2nd, 2010, 01:15 AM
Discard on shutdown unless you save them elsewhere..?

Wouldnt that delete the iso file from my HDD ??

Kai69
February 2nd, 2010, 01:57 AM
NUTS Ive put the iso on my USB stick all went well restarted lappy to check USB for errors, It found 14 what do I do now ??

warfacegod
February 2nd, 2010, 03:16 AM
Discard on shutdown unless you save them elsewhere..?

Wouldnt that delete the iso file from my HDD ??

No. Any files you create or download will not be saved unless you send them to your hard drive specifically.

NUTS Ive put the iso on my USB stick all went well restarted lappy to check USB for errors, It found 14 what do I do now ??

If you've got a partition ready for it then "Try without installing..."

Kai69
February 3rd, 2010, 02:31 AM
Ok managed to burn dvd and no errors on disk and works on live cd .. Ok how much disk space do you recommend Im thinking about 50gb?

warfacegod
February 3rd, 2010, 02:36 AM
Ok managed to burn dvd and no errors on disk and works on live cd .. Ok how much disk space do you recommend Im thinking about 50gb?

50 GB is an awful lot. I'm guessing your kids will have mostly document style files? No music, videos, xbox .iso's? I'd go with 15 - 20 GB.

jamoncillo
February 3rd, 2010, 03:42 AM
yeah, I would go with 5 to 10Gb too

when I had Win an Ubuntu I usually just gave like 10gb to ubuntu, since all my files were on windows. I never got over like 3Gb in Ubuntu this way

So, yeah. I wouldn't give edubuntu more tan 10Gb. Actually I'm about to install a 2nd distro too, and I'll leave only 5Gb to it since I just need the minimum available

warfacegod
February 3rd, 2010, 03:45 AM
I think 5 GB might be too cramped. 10 GB is fine too, though.

jamoncillo
February 3rd, 2010, 05:59 AM
uhm... yeah, 10 would be fine
and couldn't just Kai69 use that partition as an install pint, and use the ubuntu partition as a mount pont for home? that way the kids won't mess anything from Edubuntu, and the new partition would be available only as system.

Just remember to change the user owner so it won't be accesible for the child or they might delete something unintentionaly

warfacegod
February 3rd, 2010, 01:33 PM
uhm... yeah, 10 would be fine
and couldn't just Kai69 use that partition as an install pint, and use the ubuntu partition as a mount pont for home? that way the kids won't mess anything from Edubuntu, and the new partition would be available only as system.

Just remember to change the user owner so it won't be accesible for the child or they might delete something unintentionaly

Sure, that can be done. Changing the ownership of the /home would protect it but also would make it so the kids couldn't store their own files there either, if I'm not mistaken.

jamoncillo
February 4th, 2010, 02:57 AM
haha. I meant to change ownership only of the folders you'd like to protect (=

anyhoooooooow, this thread was about how much space should he leave for Edubuntu, haha. Hope it's already up and running by now

Kai69
February 6th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Sorry havent been on for a few days,Im going to do the install this weekend and looking at about 15gb as anything the kids do put on I can always put on ext hdd I also got some extra USB sticks so they can take their own stuff off and use it on their lappy. Ill keep you posted.:D

warfacegod
February 6th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Sounds good. If you need assistance, I'm usually lurking about.

Kai69
February 6th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Sounds good. If you need assistance, I'm usually lurking about.

Dont you ever sleep :p

warfacegod
February 6th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Dont you ever sleep :p

I post in my sleep. Being The warfacegod, I can do that. It's a thing.