PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very early question on upgrading to 10.04

thelugnut
February 1st, 2010, 05:04 PM
I have not been able to install and successfully run Ubuntu 9.10.
I am now wondering if I will be able to go from 9.04 to 10.04 this coming April. I think that somewhere I read it isn't good to do this, but I don't have much choice.:confused:

underquark
February 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Download the iso when it comes out and run it from a live CD or put it on a USB stick before taking the plunge. Without knowing what you're trying to install it on and what's wrong for you with 9.04 and 9.10, potential responders to your post will be bit in the dark.

darkod
February 1st, 2010, 05:38 PM
I have not been able to install and successfully run Ubuntu 9.10.
I am now wondering if I will be able to go from 9.04 to 10.04 this coming April. I think that somewhere I read it isn't good to do this, but I don't have much choice.:confused:
A clean install is always much better than upgrade, it doesn't matter from what version to what. For this purpose I would recommend to have separate /home partition and that way you can simply use it with new clean install.
Also, if you are worried about reinstalling all packages/software you have on your 9.04, all packages except the ones installed manually (that were not in repos), can be easily replicated on the new install. Read this that I have bookmarked for when I need it:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7157175&postcount=5

thelugnut
February 3rd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks darkod...
That's a good response and that's what I will do.:D

Since I have had no problems installing Ubuntu since 2007 I was very much surprised with 9.10. I posted my problems but never got them resolved. I didn't feel like going over it again, so just asked if it were possible to upgrade from 9.04, (with which I have had no problems) by skipping 9.10 and going straight to 10.04. :rolleyes: