PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Making an animated line graph

JDShu
February 1st, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hey, does anybody know the quickest way to make an animated line graph? Specifically, I would like to make a line graph grow, as if being drawn from left to right. I tried using the pencil program to do simple animation, but its tedious and feels quite stupid.

underquark
February 1st, 2010, 05:53 PM
If you're using Impress you could experiment with transitions such as Wipe Right. This doesn't draw the graph but it reveals it from left to right and it's one of the less-nasty effects.

JDShu
February 1st, 2010, 05:58 PM
I'm actually experimenting with this right now (in powerpoint). The effect is not bad.. I just need to figure out how to turn it into a video file of some sort. Since I'm working on a mac, its been hard to find a good screen recording program :( I wish I had my Linux computer with me right now.

underquark
February 1st, 2010, 08:44 PM
What about GIFBuilder or some other animated GIF package for the Mac? You'd need to draw the graph yourself in several stages (tedious). Now (having assumed you were using Linux and trying to do a presentation and using a PC) I'm assuming you want this for a webpage or something?

JDShu
February 2nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
Yep, I wanted this on a website... as a video with a voice recording to explain the graph as it moved. I've finally managed to do it too, and using freeware (gratis) stuff! :D

I animate the graph using powerpoint/impress and capture the animation with Copernicus (http://danicsoft.com/software/copernicus/). Problem is that Copernicus doesn't compress files, so I had to do that with another program I found online... can't remember what it was, I'll post it when I go back to the office.