PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WINE -- A Compilation

terrapin893
February 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
So Ive done some searching to see if this has been done before and so far I have not seen it. I, like many linux users, do occasionally find the need to utilize some windows programs. Id like to make this thread a compilation of user testimonies of what works . . . and what doesnt in WINE. I think it would be a cool place to come see what things have been confirmed from other users as working in WINE.

Ill start . . . . .

What works:
<> notepad (this is not meant to be sarcastic . . . . notepad is just the only application I have used with WINE that works every time.)

What doesnt work:
<> Newsbin Pro (crash)
<> Second Life (crash)

darshana
February 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM
WINE is a virtual machine, so we cant expect running all the programs which runs on a Windows environment.. But actually its a nice system tool.. :)

terrapin893
February 1st, 2010, 03:06 PM
Oh yes, I am in no ways complaining or anything of the like.

What I want to know is from users what they have found that works and what they have found doesnt.

A virtual version of windows will surely not be a sure thing . . . . windows in itself is not a sure thing!

darshana
February 1st, 2010, 03:16 PM
100 true.. :D

Mark Phelps
February 1st, 2010, 10:09 PM
Not one to discourage initiative ... but ...

You haven't apparently searched very far because Codeweavers already maintains this information in a database at their WineHQ site. This database is updated daily with feedback from the Wine community. So basically, you're duplicating something that is already available.

It would be better, if you're going to add a thread for this kind of info, to make it a sticky in the Wine subforum -- not here in Installatations and Upgrades.