PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Default programs to open files

mosesparmar
February 1st, 2010, 11:37 AM
Dear friends,
I am new to Ubuntu. I have latest updates installed along with Firefox 3.5.7. I have same configuration in my home and office. However, in my office when I double click the downloaded file, it opens launch application dialogue instead of opening the file. When I download the file for the first time, it knows the program to open with. But next time I double click it (or right click > open, or right click > open containing folder), it opens launch application dialogue box. And I don't know how to tell it what to do. In my home any time double clicking the firefox downloads automatically opens that file through right application.
Please help,

ajgreeny
February 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM
Usually it needs a right click on the file. go to Properties, Open With tab, and there set whatever you wish to use as the default application.

mosesparmar
February 2nd, 2010, 07:28 AM
Dear Mr. AJGREENY,
Thanks for your quick reply. The file opens alright if I go to the download directory and right click. But I needed help to double click on Firefox download box (tools > downloads). When I double click there, it opens 'launch application' dialogue box. In my home computer it works easily.

ajgreeny
February 2nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
Try the firefox Edit ->Preferences menu and on the Applications tab it may be possible to choose the application you want to open the file type. I don't know if it affects the opening from the FF Download window, but is worth trying, I think.

mosesparmar
February 3rd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Preferences > Applications already mentions right applications to open files when they are downloaded first time. But when I go back to download box second time, it asks me, even though in preferences it already knows. So,this does not seem to affect firefox!!