PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing

Gold and Blue
February 1st, 2010, 06:31 AM
I have a virus infected computer. I was told I could install the Ubuntu cd and it would allow me to get files off my computer. I have the cd and I am starting the computer to the cd but where do I go from the main page. What option do I pick on the main installation page.

lykwydchykyn
February 1st, 2010, 06:50 AM
If you just want to get files off the computer, and you have something to copy them onto (like a USB drive or network share), you don't need to install Ubuntu. You can just mount the old Windows partition from the desktop on the live CD and copy them to wherever.

See this:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

If do want to install, see this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Gold and Blue
February 2nd, 2010, 07:25 AM
I got the CD to work but an icon stating "A volume with software packages has been detected". I then have 2 choices cancel or start package manager. What do i choose?

elliotn
February 2nd, 2010, 07:35 AM
If u have insected a live cd of ubuntu, then go to places and choose ur windows drive then navigate to the files u want to back up and coPy em to ur flash drive and thats it

Gold and Blue
February 2nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
I shouldn't have said the cd is working. I inserted it and it seems to be loading. The screen is black with a circle cursor that shows it's loading. the only other thing besides a black screen and cursor is the icon stating "A volume with software packages has been detected". I then have 2 choices cancel or start package manager. What do i choose

Kixtosh
February 2nd, 2010, 07:45 AM
I shouldn't have said the cd is working. I inserted it and it seems to be loading. The screen is black with a circle cursor that shows it's loading. ...Hmmm ... that doesn't sound right to me. You should have a fully functional Ubuntu system that looks just like a fully installed operating system, except that it's very slow (since it's operating only from the CD and RAM).

Gold and Blue
February 2nd, 2010, 07:46 AM
That icon just disappeared. Should I have choosen an option? How long does it take for the CD to load onto the computer? I'm about 30 minutes in

Kixtosh
February 2nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
... How long does it take for the CD to load onto the computer? I'm about 30 minutes inI'm not sure if that depends on available RAM or not, but on my ancient relics with just 256MB of RAM, I'd estimate several minutes, but no more than five or so from start to finish when running as a Live CD. Certainly less than ten.