PDA

View Full Version : Listen Music Player: Freakin' amazing.

Luke has no name
February 1st, 2010, 03:03 AM
Listen has replaced Exaile as my super-awesome Linux music player of choice. It has dynamic playlists, album info, all the cool things you'd expect from a player, BUT it has a much better library browser than Exaile in my opinion. I'm using it to manage my 7000+ song collection and it's doing well. Crashes sometimes, but as far as feature set, I like it very much.

It's a little buggy, and until Lucid comes you're stuck with terrible 0.6.2.

SO!

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:listen-devel/ppa

To get the updated version. Crashes a lot less often.

Uncle Spellbinder
February 1st, 2010, 04:16 AM
Does it have the ability to add more than one folder to the library. Last time I checked it out, this was not possible. No ability to watch more than one folder is a deal breaker for me.

docus
February 1st, 2010, 04:41 PM
I like Listen a lot - the layout feels very intuitive to me and it allows you to update id3 tags in a straightforward way. I agree with the OP that it has a nicer interface than Exaile (I've never felt comfortable with the way Exaile presents the music library).

I stopped using it because it was a little buggy and I was curious to try other things - I stumbled on Banshee and found it was much more polished that most other music players, so I've stuck with it. But Listen is still well worth a try.

juancarlospaco
February 1st, 2010, 04:47 PM
it's doing well.

Crashes sometimes,

I like it very much.

It's a little buggy,

Crashes a lot

ehm... it is good or it is bad???

MP3Blaster never crashed for me, LOL :)

skymera
February 1st, 2010, 05:02 PM
Listen has replaced Exaile as my super-awesome Linux music player of choice. It has dynamic playlists, album info, all the cool things you'd expect from a player, BUT it has a much better library browser than Exaile in my opinion. I'm using it to manage my 7000+ song collection and it's doing well. Crashes sometimes, but as far as feature set, I like it very much.

It's a little buggy, and until Lucid comes you're stuck with terrible 0.6.2.

SO!

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:listen-devel/ppa

To get the updated version. Crashes a lot less often.

How does Listen compare to Banshee? I've been using Banshee for a couple of years.

Warpnow
February 1st, 2010, 05:38 PM
Listen is very similar to Rythmbox in my experience. Its pretty good, but I prefer aqualung most times.

Luke has no name
February 1st, 2010, 06:11 PM
Listen does crash too often. In the 0.6.3 release, it's gone from hard crashes to simply locking up. Haha!

It is such a bother to me that I am truly, really thinking about digging through the code and figuring out what is locking to fix it. The feature-set and the UI of Listen is absolutely top-notch in my opinion; it is unfortunate it has such bugs.

I do not like Rhythmbox as much as Listen.

1)Listen, when working correctly, feels more lightweight and clean than Rhythmbox.
2)Until Rhythmbox allows me to play music in the play queue WITHOUT POPPING THE TRACKS OFF THE QUEUE, I will never use it as my player. What a stupid thing for B not to have an option like that for the queue.

For anyone who likes Winamp on Windows, they will fall in love with the IDEA of Listen, though they will wish for fewer bugs. Exaile is my fallback, but I really want Listen to get fixed. up a bit more.

Never used Aqualung or MP3Blaster.

I used Banshee a year or so ago. Wasn't a huge fan, but I can't recall my issues with it. I'll try it out again in the next day or so.

anonbeat
February 2nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
Have you ever tried Guayadeque ? see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1380811

Luke has no name
February 4th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Have you ever tried Guayadeque ? see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1380811

Testing it now. So far, so good. BTW, go to the MOTU board right now and find out how to get this into universe for Lucid. It might be possible.

sideaway
February 4th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Sorry guys, but I'm just gonna have to slow Amarok 1.4 in here. After trying 2.0 I went searching, CLI players, Exaile and a heap of others I can't think of right now all had little niggles I didn't like... I can't believe I ever left Amarok 1.4, it's my favourite :D