PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] BCWipe equivalent in Unbuntu?

DougZ
February 1st, 2010, 12:18 AM
On the windows side I've been using a nice utility called bcwipe, which is part of the commercial bestcrypt product.

One of the features I use is the ability to wipe (shred) all free space on a partition, including the unused "file slack" at the end of each file on disk, and any unused directory entries, so there is no trace of anything beyond the current files/directories on disk having ever existed. All of this is available in an easy to use gui from a simple right-click on a drive in the file manager.

Another feature I use is the ability to shred a file's contents and the files directory entry so there is no trace it ever existed. Again with a single-right click and a nice gui.

It also has the ability to shred your swap, temp files on the system, etc on startup/shutdown and you can configure additional directories/files. Again with a easy to use gui.

I see there is a (commercial) version of bcwipe available, but I was wondering if there is a free app that does the equivalent and HAS A GUI.