PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Why does VLC require gconf in KDE

Mustache Villain
January 31st, 2010, 11:09 PM
I'm just curious as to why this happens. Is this a general requirement for installing VLC on GNU/Linux or is this Ubuntu/Kubuntu specific, only? I find it strange that the Qt application would need gconf.

Zorael
February 1st, 2010, 01:13 AM
Likely it depends on x which depends on y which recommends gconf. Thus it gets installed at the same time as per the new defaults; to treat recommends as dependencies when selecting packages to install.

Try telling your package manager to stick to the old behavior ("recommends are optional").

$ sudo aptitude install vlc --without-recommends
$ sudo apt-get install vlc --no-install-recommends

It's possible to create a rule in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d to make the old behavior the default, but I don't know the specifics.

Mustache Villain
February 1st, 2010, 02:32 AM
Likely it depends on x which depends on y which recommends gconf. Thus it gets installed at the same time as per the new defaults; to treat recommends as dependencies when selecting packages to install.

Try telling your package manager to stick to the old behavior ("recommends are optional").

$ sudo aptitude install vlc --without-recommends
$ sudo apt-get install vlc --no-install-recommendsIt's possible to create a rule in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d to make the old behavior the default, but I don't know the specifics.

That's fantastic, I can minimize the installation! Thanks for being so informative.