PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Suddenly cannot link to a .so file

ghartshaw
January 31st, 2010, 11:08 PM
The program that I am writing contains a shared library. It used to work fine, but suddenly started to give this error message when I run the executable.

./1-shapes: error while loading shared libraries: libglxe.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I do not think that I changed anything that would break it. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

dwhitney67
January 31st, 2010, 11:28 PM
Where does the file libglxe.so.0 reside? Is there also a libglxe.so file in the same place?

The problem could be that your LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not setup with the location.

When running an app, typically /usr/lib is referenced. On some systems, /usr/local/lib is also referenced. If your library is not in one of these locations, you will need to manually specify the location when you run the app. For example:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/some/path/to/my/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./1-shapes

P.S. Weird name for the executable... up to you though.

ghartshaw
January 31st, 2010, 11:39 PM
The Makefile was putting libglxe.so.0 in the base of the build directory, same as the executables, and then running

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
It seems to work if I specify the LD_LIBRARY_PATH each time I run the program.

The weird thing is, it used to work without the LD_LIBRARY_PATH when executed, but suddenly it matters now.

P.S. Weird name for the executable... up to you though.
It's a demo program, there is currently one other, and I am planning to make more.
They all have a number and then a brief description/title of the demo as their name.

ghartshaw
February 1st, 2010, 04:04 AM
Fixed it. I needed to add
-Wl,-rname,. to the arguments I used to compile the executable. It works now.