PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Two way folder sync

jimmy the saint
January 31st, 2010, 10:56 PM
I need to sync folders between several machines and would prefer not to use a cloud service. What's the easiest way to do this? I have a home server I can use if neccessary.

listerdl
January 31st, 2010, 11:13 PM
I thought Ubuntu One offered this but that might be a cloud.

Cant think of another way aside from perhaps something offered by www.dyndns.com/

Check them out.....

warfacegod
February 1st, 2010, 12:08 AM
Ubuntu One is cloud. (That's why it's icon is a cloud in Notification Area).

The link looks like it might be cloud too.

Try looking into rsync. I don't know much about it but I see it here all the time for syncing folders.

gslug79
February 1st, 2010, 12:19 AM
Unison http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ does exactly what you are looking for. It can sync two folders on the same machine, or between machines using ssh.

There are two diferent packages in the repos: unison (CLI) and unison-gtk (GUI).

jimmy the saint
February 1st, 2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks gslug. I settled on unison. I'm going to have to see if I can expand it to cover more than two machines. It looks like I might be able to pretty simply.

gslug79
February 1st, 2010, 12:53 AM
I think it should work between multiple machines - you will just have to remember which one was last updated. One way around this would be to sync all of your boxes to one server. I use this method to keep two laptops and a desktop in sync.

MrWES
February 1st, 2010, 02:16 AM
Ubuntu One is cloud. (That's why it's icon is a cloud in Notification Area).

The link looks like it might be cloud too.

Try looking into rsync. I don't know much about it but I see it here all the time for syncing folders.

Or grsync -- the gui frontend for rsync

http://www.linuxloop.com/2009/04/21/how-to-pain-free-backups-with-grsync-and-gnome-schedule/

BoneZZZ
February 5th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I use Unison-gtk at the end of my gdm session. It works like XP offline shared folders. Only 9 seconds to scan a 5GB folder!!! I use a script in /etc/gdm/PostSession/ to execute it on logout. The problem is that I have to first logout and second shutdown from gdm login windows. I am trying to auto execute unison-gtk also when shutdown or reboot. Scripts in /etc/init.d or rc0.d or rc6.d doesn't work as Xsession is closed. Any help will be welcomed, as unison works much better than old XP offline folders system and is also Win compatible.

PS: I prefer unison-gtk before I can see if there is any problem in syncing before closing my computer.