PDA

View Full Version : Good, economic Printer?

Kdar
January 31st, 2010, 10:12 PM
My correct printer is broken (all-in-one PSC 2355xi) and now I am looking to buy new.

Can someone recommend me some good printer?
I also hope that it will be economical (cheap cartridge or low cost per page)

Psumi
January 31st, 2010, 10:29 PM
Remember when you get a printer: to set cups printout mode to draft.

Kdar
January 31st, 2010, 10:34 PM
oh also.. I was looking at Epson WorkForce615?
Does anyone know if it is good printer or not?

Cups print mode inside Linux? or

Skripka
January 31st, 2010, 10:36 PM
My correct printer is broken (all-in-one PSC 2355xi) and now I am looking to buy new.

Can someone recommend me some good printer?
I also hope that it will be economical (cheap cartridge or low cost per page)

Cheap, Economical per page. Pick one.

Almost ANY inkjet will be slow, and will be cheaper to buy a entire new printer than to buy replacement ink carts. Inkjets that are not slow will not be cheap.

Psumi
January 31st, 2010, 10:40 PM

I have a wireless Officejet 6500 and it works wonders, it works out of the box, and no need to set it up with USB, it works by inputting your WEP code on-screen.

I believe your epson might be over 200 USD that you're looking at, while at officemax, the officejet 6500 wireless model is 150 USD :| currently on sale for this week that is.

Skripka
January 31st, 2010, 10:40 PM

Cups print mode inside Linux? or

I still have nightmares about trying to get Epson boxes to talk to linux. Best luck I've had is with HP (they have native linux drivers), but my Photosmart c6280 was not cheap.

Kdar
January 31st, 2010, 10:43 PM
I have a wireless Officejet 6500 and it works wonders, it works out of the box, and no need to set it up with USB, it works by inputting your WEP code on-screen.

I believe your epson might be over 200 USD that you're looking at, while at officemax, the officejet 6500 wireless model is 150 USD :| currently on sale for this week that is.

actually it was something like 95. But I will check about your printer too. I kind of want to have Wifi option too. Got tired of having my printer take up space on my desk.

Psumi
January 31st, 2010, 10:44 PM
actually it was something like 95. But I will check about your printer too. I kind of want to have Wifi option too. Got tired of having my printer take up space on my desk.

The officejet 6500 wireless is a pretty big machine, good luck finding space for it, it has a duplexer that you attach on the back.

The epson workforce 610 at best buy is 200 USD, hence why I thought it would be a similar price.

Kdar
January 31st, 2010, 11:20 PM
The officejet 6500 wireless is a pretty big machine, good luck finding space for it, it has a duplexer that you attach on the back.

The epson workforce 610 at best buy is 200 USD, hence why I thought it would be a similar price.

Oh so it can print on both sides? at one time?

Psumi
January 31st, 2010, 11:23 PM
Oh so it can print on both sides? at one time?

No, what it does is it prints one side first, then a dry time is used, then it takes it back in and prints the other side.

The feed tray on the top for copying might not work properly, so, you might want to use the flatbed portion (scanner) to copy.

speedwell68
February 1st, 2010, 12:20 AM
I have an HP Deskjet D2460 and it is very good. Replacement cartridges are around £10 each.

Psumi
February 1st, 2010, 12:28 AM
I have an HP Deskjet D2460 and it is very good. Replacement cartridges are around £10 each.

And starting at about 14 USD in retail stores here in the USA.

cariboo
February 1st, 2010, 01:35 AM
If you don't need colour, a laser printer is much more economical than any inkjet out there, and they can be pretty inexpensive to purchase. This week the local Staples had a Brother HL2140 for $79.94 CDN, most printers will do 5000 pages be fore needing toner.

Psumi
February 1st, 2010, 01:39 AM
If you don't need colour, a laser printer is much more economical than any inkjet out there, and they can be pretty inexpensive to purchase. This week the local Staples had a Brother HL2140 for $79.94 CDN, most printers will do 5000 pages be fore needing toner.

The brother toner cartridges have known to have issues, where there is still toner left, but shaking the toner and putting it back in the brother will not work. Instead, the fix is to put black elextrical tape across the sensor bar on the toner.

Sadly, I am not willing to do this.

cariboo
February 1st, 2010, 04:11 AM
Sadly, I am not willing to do this.

I don't know why you are so sad about not willing to do a lot of things, or so against some things, but I had a great hate for Brother, because of their service department. My annoyance has gone a away since I got a HL-5250DN for free, and it just plain workeed when I plugged it in. I haven't needed supplies for it yet, so I don't know what it will cost, but from the management console so far it has gone through 5 toner cartridges including the one that was in it when I got it, in 55,000+ pages, that looks pretty economical to me.

I have an Epson R340, that goes through so much ink, that I keep a complete set of spare cartidges on hand all the time, at $18.00 each, for 6 cartridges it's fortunate that it usually only empties one at a time.

Psumi
February 1st, 2010, 04:22 AM
Know of any brother wireless laser AIOs that have Wireless config on screen on the printer so you don't need to hook it up to a computer to configure/print/scan to it the first time?

and that works out of the box on ubuntu with the installation of a package from the ubuntu repos?

Kdar
February 3rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
I might check out laser printers too. If think about it, most of the time I do black and white printing, anyways.

But what about color laser? Have anyone used one? or know how makes it?
I saw this one from Samsung:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828112110

freebeer
February 3rd, 2010, 05:35 AM
I *think* Samsung and Brother share the same guts - at least for many of their printer lines.

I've had satisfactory operation from the Brother and Samsung "basic" laser printers in a mixed environment (Windows with Linux server). But I've never had a color version from either.

My color printers are higher end stuff, so unlikely to be in your price range.

Kdar
February 3rd, 2010, 06:48 AM
well. yes. I probably would not print anything in color so often anyways, if think about it.

I might get that Brother printer, I like how it can print so many pages on one toner.

What kind of scanner do you use with it? (I would be needing a scanner too, if I will go this way)