PDA

View Full Version : The State Of The Newspaper Industry...

sports fan Matt
January 31st, 2010, 05:33 PM
How long do you guys think the current state of a daily newspaper will be around in terms of content and with all the electronic media? My feelings are they may have 3 of 4 major newspapers daily within ten years. I know they have gotten incredibly thin and the publishers are charging more..$3 for the Dallas Morning News and $6 for the New York Times. Weekdays most papers I have seen are at $1. Thoughts?

Kai69
January 31st, 2010, 05:36 PM
What are they books in the UK a newspaper is about 20-50p and weekends mayby £1.50, That is expensive..

ratcheer
January 31st, 2010, 05:38 PM
The same goes for the free over the air television industry. And maybe even for broadcast radio.

Printed books seem to be doing just fine, though.

Tim

SoFl W
January 31st, 2010, 05:40 PM
Newspapers have always been behind in the news because by the time the paper is printed and distributed the news is out of date. Newspapers are dying because people have access more sources and more current information.

The reason why Sunday papers sell so well is because of the ads and coupons not for the content.

sports fan Matt
January 31st, 2010, 05:53 PM
I don't think they will die entirely. I think there will be 2 to 3 ie; New York Times, USA Today & Wall Street Journal, bur for the abundance, I think it's decreasing.

alexfish
January 31st, 2010, 05:53 PM
News/ paper industry

destroyed by self righteous and meddling reporters

handy for things like crosswords and puzzles

now

Toilet / paper industry

we know what that is for

ticopelp
January 31st, 2010, 06:06 PM
The newspaper market will continue to dwindle and become more niche, but it'll be quite a while before it disappears completely.

koshatnik
January 31st, 2010, 06:17 PM
Print media is dying on its backside. Books are fine for awhile yet, but newspapers are dead in the water. They only have a single print run, daily (most used to have 2 print runs but I doubt any newsgroup does 2 nowadays), and their content is out of date in hours. That's why there is very little news in papers now, its all features, comment, editorial and advertising.

Things evolve. Things die. Some things pass into niche. Newspapers will do one of those things. My money is on niche.

bashveank
January 31st, 2010, 06:32 PM
Things evolve. Things die. Some things pass into niche. Newspapers will do one of those things. My money is on niche.

Same bet here. I'm staffing a small town newspaper, and ever since we've gone from covering big news stories to the niche stuff around our town, our numbers have never been better.