PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell 8400 Installation Problem

lotsofloot
January 31st, 2010, 05:25 PM
Good Afternoon

I my trying to install Ubuntu onto a new 1 TByte Sata HDD on my Dell 8400. The computer has no other OS installed as the old HDD containing Windows XP has being removed. The new hdd has being fully formatted and is set up as a NTFS with a single partition of 1 TByte.

I downloaded the latest version of UBuntu and burned it to a cd as a ISO file. When I boot my computer up from this cd I am asked to enter my language of choice and then I get the main menu screen. On this screen I choose option (2) - Install Ubuntu. After a few minutes during which time you can hear the cd being accessed the screen just displays this main menu and never changes. I have tried twice using this install option but after 45-50 minutes the screen still never changes. No progress information is given.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal. If it is norman how long does the installation generally take?

Any help greatly appreciated.

milton1
January 31st, 2010, 05:36 PM
This is not normal. There are several possibilities: bad burn, bad reader, bad RAM. Probably not a bad hdd, as it sounds like you are not even reaching the partitioner. Try selecting the "check disk for errors" option when you boot the cd.

lotsofloot
January 31st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Ok. Thanks for your help.