PDA

View Full Version : How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

xmastree
March 4th, 2006, 02:00 PM
1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* are in the industry, and that "light bulb"
is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

DrFunkenstein
March 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Just wanted to add a /me too here. :-D

fuscia
March 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM
you left out someone posting a pic of a tranny with a lightbulb instead of a head.

(oops! wrong forum!)

Kernel Sanders
March 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Was there a spelling mistake in that post? :mrgreen: LOL

Quite a funny read! :mrgreen:

chimera
March 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
lol, great post:mrgreen:

Arktis
March 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Yeah right, as if...

Anyways, this post reminds me that my porch light needs replacing and I was wondering if anyone can post some links to point me in the right direction to get started.

Master Shake
March 4th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah right, as if...

Anyways, this post reminds me that my porch light needs replacing and I was wondering if anyone can post some links to point me in the right direction to get started.

Sheesh. Its in the wiki!

xmastree
March 4th, 2006, 03:42 PM
RTFM!

peppermint
March 4th, 2006, 05:52 PM

You should watch out when changing the bulb. You could get burned or recieve a nasty electrical shock :eek:

welsh_spud
March 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM
For those that want to learn more about electric light devices, you can check out the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Bulb).

Also, if you want to learn how our light-emitting friends work, you can check out the Howstuffworks (http://science.howstuffworks.com/light-bulb.htm) page.

timczer
March 4th, 2006, 08:11 PM
This made me laugh. It is also a little sad, because so many threads actually look like that.

K.Mandla
March 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Just for the record, I intend to resurrect this post six months from now, just to start it all over again.

matthinckley
March 4th, 2006, 08:42 PM
thats awesome :-D

xequence
March 4th, 2006, 09:29 PM
1 Person to change the lightbulb...
1 Aysiu to make a poll about it
1 Bragador to make sure the lightbulb is under the GPL
1 Stormy Eyes to say something about the government being stupid
1 Bored2k to tell them they should post a new topic for the lightbulb
1 Xequence to say something then regret it, then get bored and change his avatar for the 52153435th time
1 Kassetra to think xequence is trying to be a rebel
1 Fuscia to say something oddly funny

(No offense to anyone there, just playing around ;P)

LaRoza
March 4th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Just for the record, I intend to resurrect this post six months from now, just to start it all over again.

I will do it.

p_quarles
March 4th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I will do it.
Me too.

Istonian
March 4th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Dudes, dudes, dudes, I will do it. BTW ITS LIGHT BULB NOT LIGHTBULB.

>_> lol

CaptainCabinet
March 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Awesome. Very funny. :lol:

popch
March 4th, 2008, 09:26 PM
The OP is obviously dated; otherwise there would have been some contributions about:

- how the waste heat of all those bulbs causes Global Warming, and how failure to promptly replace burnt out bulbs causes global cooling, instead,
- some members claiming disbelief in light bulbs on account of their not being mentioned in ancient authorative works,
- and lastly, how the Light Bulb was not quite ready for the desk because of its archaic user interface.

LaRoza
March 4th, 2008, 09:40 PM
The OP is obviously dated; otherwise there would have been some contributions about:

- how the waste heat of all those bulbs causes Global Warming, and how failure to promptly replace burnt out bulbs causes global cooling, instead,
- some members claiming disbelief in light bulbs on account of their not being mentioned in ancient authorative works,
- and lastly, how the Light Bulb was not quite ready for the desk because of its archaic user interface.

I had suggested in another place the addition of:

- 20 to thank the more useless posts on the thread

koenn
March 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM
You have the numbers all wrong. The 156 to email ... and the 53 to flame the spell checkers are probably slightly over-estimated whereas there'd be probably more than 7 to warn for the dangers of changing light bulbs.

Furthermore, you probably meant "lamp" in stead of "light bulb" : in this case, "lamp" would have been the proper term to use, given the context.

And

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

that should be participants'.

p_quarles
March 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I really think that this needs to be included in the forum FAQ.

popch
March 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Please don't. This thread is so funny that I feel that it would be unfair to put it into a place where no one will ever see it.

justin whitaker
March 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I look forward to thanking the most useless post in the thread...which would be this one, if I could thank myself.

:lolflag:

jrusso2
March 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM
You can't change a light bulb they have to want to change.

koenn
March 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM

... while overlooking the crucial question :whether the specifications of this light bulb are open so the open source community can create drivers for it. We shouldn't have to accept binary blobs just to get a working light bulb.

p_quarles
March 4th, 2008, 10:00 PM
... while overlooking the crucial question :whether the specifications of this light bulb are open so the open source community can create drivers for it. We shouldn't have to accept binary blobs just to get a working light bulb.
This one works out of the box:
http://ww.kraiggrayson.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/light-bulb-regular.jpg

koenn
March 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
This one works out of the box:
http://ww.kraiggrayson.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/light-bulb-regular.jpg
... but it's clearly just a generic electric lamp, and by no means an acceptible replacement for a high-end lighting device.
The user interface is just awful.

koenn
March 4th, 2008, 10:14 PM

what's a FAQ ?

Het Irv
March 4th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Ahh.. you seem to have forgotten the Bump Thread, see sig for directions.

Oh, I not care bout spell or gramer. I help with LIGHTBULB.

Tristam Green
March 4th, 2008, 10:20 PM
It also requires a few members to say "why would you want to force a lightbulb to change? Maybe being off just works for it..."

koenn
March 4th, 2008, 10:29 PM
It also requires a few members to say "why would you want to force a lightbulb to change? Maybe being off just works for it..."

or : if lightbulbs don't work for you, maybe you should stick to windows.

suibhne
March 4th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Free bulbware is bulbware that gives you, The Illuminated, the freedom to share, study and modify it. We call this free bulbware because The Illuminated is free. To use free bulbware is to make a political and ethical choice asserting the right to learn, and share what we learn with others. Thus, although it takes only one forum member to physically modify the bulbware, the process is open and anyone with an internet connection can solicit, give or redistribute the techniques for modifying your bulbware.