PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Help buying a netbook

sxmaxchine
January 31st, 2010, 11:56 AM
I need to get a laptop for to help me do all my it subjects at school and tafe. i want to get a netbook as they are much easier to carry around and are stil able to do what i need it to do.

my question is if i buy a netbook will i be able to run ubuntu on it or wil i have to download the netbook remix.

my other quesstion is does anybody know were i can buy a netbook that comes with linux (preferably ubuntu) pre installed. as this wil save me paying for an operating system i already have (and rarely use).

also i have not chosen a netbook yet so any recomendations wil be apreciated.

and i can talk nerd if that helps you explain :D

NightwishFan
January 31st, 2010, 12:05 PM
There is a vendor that sells netbooks preinstalled. They seem like a very good value.
http://system76.com/

Dell also sells Ubuntu preinstalled.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

To answer your question: Ubuntu can run on any compatible hardware, it is a matter of preference if you use the netbook remix. If you like the netbook remix features, go with that as an option. All netbook are available for standard Ubuntu in the package manager.

Concrete
January 31st, 2010, 12:06 PM
In some store thay offer Ubuntu whit netbooks in some store dont...

But thats not problem you allways download ubuntu for netbooks and install on your hardware, simple as that.

I would buy some Asuse Eee probably...

sxmaxchine
January 31st, 2010, 12:24 PM
ok thankyou for the help and the advice

warfacegod
January 31st, 2010, 02:11 PM
If your planning on doing allot of school work on it you might consider getting a full size laptop. Netbook screens are quite small and can put allot of strain on your eyes. Increasing font size will help but will probably make actually doing your work harder.

I second ASUS, netbook or laptop. Make sure you look into the parts a machine has before buying. I would go with nVidia graphics and look in here, for a start, to see what wireless cards work well.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=370108

clive littlewood
January 31st, 2010, 02:15 PM
Hi

I have a Toshiba NB200 which is a great little machine.

Remember netbook edition (remix) is the full Ubuntu OS but optimized for screen layout and Atom processors. ;)

Good luck

Clive

warfacegod
January 31st, 2010, 02:22 PM
Are we on this "Optimized" thing again? It just uses some of the Atom's power saving features. When I hear "optimized", I don't think; Wow! 40 miles per gallon versus 10. I think; Wow! 9000 horsepower and it gets worse gas mileage than the Space Shuttle! RROOAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

...maybe that's just 'cuz I'm 'Mericun.:p

KegHead
January 31st, 2010, 02:24 PM
Hi!

I have a Dell mini 9.

Upgraded to 16gb hd & 2 gb ram.

Running 9.10.

No problems.

KegHead

clive littlewood
January 31st, 2010, 03:27 PM
Are we on this "Optimized" thing again? It just uses some of the Atom's power saving features. When I hear "optimized", I don't think; Wow! 40 miles per gallon versus 10. I think; Wow! 9000 horsepower and it gets worse gas mileage than the Space Shuttle! RROOAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

My we are touchy !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Have a nice day

Clive

warfacegod
January 31st, 2010, 03:35 PM

Have a nice day

Clive

I didn't mean to come off as touchy, sorry. It's just that I've been seeing bunches of this "Optimized" crap over the last week and I think it's somewhat misleading.

Spiritof76
January 31st, 2010, 03:55 PM

Have a nice day

Clive

Actually this responce helped me out somewhat. I run a desktop that happens to use the the Duo Atom and I was concidering running the the netbooks version of Ubuntu on my machines, I now understand it won't speed up or make my computer more efficient.

warfacegod
January 31st, 2010, 04:50 PM
Clive::tongue:

theozzlives
January 31st, 2010, 04:57 PM
My opinion would be the Dell Mini 9, or Mini 10 (10 comes with Moblin).

Primefalcon
January 31st, 2010, 05:59 PM
I have an Asus 900ha and I have Ubuntu running 100% on it

but this might help you a little more
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

stalkier
January 31st, 2010, 06:01 PM
I have a HP Mini 110 running Ubuntu 9.10. Everything runs great.

ILL F1GUR3
January 31st, 2010, 10:14 PM
I have the eMachines $200 netbook from Walmart, I installed UNR from a flash drive, everything seems to be working fine except for Flash in FireFox- which is why I am here looking for a solution. Feel free to PM me if decide to go "elcheapo" I'll let you know If I fix it.

-ILL

warfacegod
January 31st, 2010, 10:18 PM
I have the eMachines $200 netbook from Walmart, I installed UNR from a flash drive, everything seems to be working fine except for Flash in FireFox- which is why I am here looking for a solution. Feel free to PM me if decide to go "elcheapo" I'll let you know If I fix it.

-ILL

Did you install flashplugin-nonfree?

Primefalcon
January 31st, 2010, 10:44 PM
open up the software center and search for adobe flash

install the adobe flash plugin

restart firefox

problem solved

ugm6hr
January 31st, 2010, 10:49 PM
Dell Minis are good options, but I'm not sure if they are available with Ubuntu in Australia.

To be honest, most netbooks will run Ubuntu just fine, some with a few minor adaptations.

As mentioned before - check here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

ILL F1GUR3
January 31st, 2010, 10:58 PM
Did you install flashplugin-nonfree?

Not sure what that is- Im a "absolute beginner" and its been awhile since I had to get my hands dirty mucking around in an OS.

The problem was whenever I went to a website with flash, FF would tell me I needed additional plug-ins, and I would click to install. Then I would get a message saying the packages were not available. (Flash, Gnash and one other I can't recall)

FF would then bring my to the adobe site where there was no option for linux. So I was kind of bummed.

I tried downloading the .deb file thru terminal but it hung up.

I finally solved the problem by going to hulu.com and clicking on the adobe link there, downloaded the .apt for Ubuntu 9.4+ and it practically installed itself.

I'm watching Family Guy right now- Giggity! :P

ILL F1GUR3
January 31st, 2010, 11:09 PM
open up the software center and search for adobe flash

install the adobe flash plugin

restart firefox

problem solved

Hmm... I tried that and it said "package not available" or something like that. Now it gives an install option.

Well then, UNR works great on the eMachine 250!

warfacegod
January 31st, 2010, 11:42 PM
For any that are interested:

System> Admin.> Software Sources> enable Restricted Extras> Close> Reload.

System> Admin.> synaptic> Search "Flash"> install adobe-flashplugin