PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Starting up and shutting down

Nygel
January 31st, 2010, 11:22 AM
How long would you expect it to take to load Ubuntu?? When I run it from a CD (because I still can't work out how to install it) it takes over 9 mins from when the computer is switched on with the boot CD in it, to when it is all fired up and usable. This is using an 8x CD drive. I know it is going to be slow running from a CD but is this length of time normal??
When shutting down Ubuntu it shuts the program down quite quickly and spits the disc back out at me OK but then just sits there with a dark blue screen and does nothing! The only way I can then get the computer to do anything is to unplug it and plug it back in again. Surely it should just switch off or reboot, or do something....???
Thanks for your help
Nygel

soloman498
January 31st, 2010, 11:38 AM
It sounds like you are running the disk live.When it has loaded there should be a Install shortcut on the desktop.It will take more than 9 minutes to completely install.

xpod
January 31st, 2010, 11:46 AM
How long would you expect it to take to load Ubuntu?? When I run it from a CD (because I still can't work out how to install it) it takes over 9 mins from when the computer is switched on with the boot CD in it, to when it is all fired up and usable. This is using an 8x CD drive. I know it is going to be slow running from a CD but is this length of time normal??
When shutting down Ubuntu it shuts the program down quite quickly and spits the disc back out at me OK but then just sits there with a dark blue screen and does nothing! The only way I can then get the computer to do anything is to unplug it and plug it back in again. Surely it should just switch off or reboot, or do something....???
Thanks for your help
Nygel

Live cd load times all depend on the spec of the computer.
The whole OS is loading into memory so if you dont have too much of the stuff it can take a while.
If you haven`t already you should hit "enter" after the cd spits out to complete the shutdown.
I`ve had machines/Distro`s myself that have done a similar thing in the past when it came to shutting down, with full installations at that.They`d go through the entire shutdown process but then hang at the very last moment.I`m sure there were fixes but just holding the power button for a moment should do you for a Live CD Environment, if hitting "enter" is`nt enough of course.

Nygel
January 31st, 2010, 12:19 PM
It sounds like you are running the disk live..

Yes, I am running it live because I can't work out how to install it!!

The whole OS is loading into memory so if you dont have too much of the stuff it can take a while.
3GB should be enough????

If you haven`t already you should hit "enter" after the cd spits out to complete the shutdown.
I`ve had machines/Distro`s myself that have done a similar thing in the past when it came to shutting down, with full installations at that.They`d go through the entire shutdown process but then hang at the very last moment.I`m sure there were fixes but just holding the power button for a moment should do you for a Live CD Environment, if hitting "enter" is`nt enough of course. .

Thanks for these suggestions

Nygel