PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Flash on Chrome Browser

TheRainbowBitMe
January 31st, 2010, 10:59 AM
Okay, so i'm not quite sure how to ask this or what all you guys need but I'm currently using the Google browser, Chrome. I would like to know how to install flash on it. I have read a few other sites about this, and they mostly just tell me to use Firefox. I would like to know if there is a simple way to get flash on Chrome.

I'm not sure what you will need to know to be able to help me so just tell me what you need and I will try to give you answers back as soon as possible.

giarca
January 31st, 2010, 11:56 AM
The easiest option is to install the package flashplugin-installer. Now the Chrome browser recognize the plugin automatically.

TheRainbowBitMe
January 31st, 2010, 12:00 PM
When I tried to install the flash plug-in, it wouldn't install and i thought that maybe i had downloaded something wrong or something so i have tried downloading it again and trying to install and it still didn't work.

foresthill
January 31st, 2010, 12:57 PM
If this story is to be believed, Google has no interest in supporting Flash:

http://www.fanboy.com/2010/01/why-flash-is-doomed.html

In a way Adobe reminds me a great deal of Yahoo! and Sun — it’s a company from a previous era where it was the star but it hasn’t aged well. In the same way that Microsoft Office is under a disruptive threat from Google Docs you can see that all the key Adobe products could be next in line to be killed by the cloud and other disruptive forces that are changing the tech landscape.

Is this the immediate end of Flash? No. However it’s the beginning of the end as other parties like Google and Microsoft have no interest in supporting Flash.

RTrev
January 31st, 2010, 02:09 PM
I simply downloaded Flash from the Adobe site, extracted the libflashplayer.so file, and put it in /opt/google/chrome/plugins and Chrome spotted and used it without problems. I did it that way to try the 64-bit Flash, but I presume it would work equally well with the 32-bit variant.

Soul-Sing
January 31st, 2010, 02:44 PM
i simply downloaded flash from the adobe site, extracted the libflashplayer.so file, and put it in /opt/google/chrome/plugins and chrome spotted and used it without problems. I did it that way to try the 64-bit flash, but i presume it would work equally well with the 32-bit variant.

+1

TheRainbowBitMe
February 1st, 2010, 12:08 AM
Well i ask my sister who has had Ubuntu, for as long as i can remember, and she told me to try getting gnash. I tried that and still nothing. I don't understand. I used Chrome before i switched back to Linux and it was fine.

Soul-Sing
February 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM
Well i ask my sister who has had Ubuntu, for as long as i can remember, and she told me to try getting gnash. I tried that and still nothing. I don't understand. I used Chrome before i switched back to Linux and it was fine.

The latest Gnash works fine, but you have to uninstall flash-nonfree.

TheRainbowBitMe
February 2nd, 2010, 03:32 AM
How do i do that?

I'm sorry that I keep asking questions that seem like something i should know but I'm not use to Linux and how it runs yet.

giarca
February 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
If you want to use flash plugin for 64bit (alpha release for Linux) you have to download the flashplugin from labs.adobe.com then unzip it and move libflashplayer.so in /opt/google/chrome/plugins/
Is the right plugins directory for Google Chrome.

Soul-Sing
February 15th, 2010, 10:34 AM
How do i do that?

I'm sorry that I keep asking questions that seem like something i should know but I'm not use to Linux and how it runs yet.

Gnash is in the off. ubuntu repositories, and works fine with
youtube, etc.
but again all flashnonfree software has to be removed before installing gnash.

saif_held
February 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Check these two:
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/09/02/enable-flash-and-use-themes-in-google-chrome-linux/

http://h3g3m0n.wordpress.com/2009/07/12/linux-chrome-flash-ext/