PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install any linux dist over ubuntu 9.10 ?

dinw3
January 31st, 2010, 10:43 AM
Hi , How to install any linux dist over ubuntu 9.10 ? like installing Fedora or Mint over Ubuntu 9.10 ?

theozzlives
January 31st, 2010, 10:45 AM
Hi , How to install any linux dist over ubuntu 9.10 ? like installing Fedora or Mint over Ubuntu 9.10 ?

You just install it. FYI: Mint is Ubuntu.

MelDJ
January 31st, 2010, 10:58 AM
follow the installer and format the ubuntu partition

dinw3
January 31st, 2010, 10:59 AM
what about Fedora or Open suse ? as a general ?

dinw3
January 31st, 2010, 11:00 AM
follow the installer and format the ubuntu partition

How to partition the files ? i am afraid that i do something wrong and my files go forever .

MelDJ
January 31st, 2010, 12:46 PM
it depends on what OS you are going to install

RTrev
January 31st, 2010, 03:50 PM
How to partition the files ? i am afraid that i do something wrong and my files go forever .

Oh, you don't have your data backed up? You want to replace the OS with another one, but leave your data intact?

I'd start by buying an external USB hard drive. Copy the stuff you want to keep up to the USB drive, unplug it, and put it somewhere safe. Copy critical things to DVDs also. Never trust a single device with things that matter.

Now just do the install. Let it over-write Ubuntu. When it's up and running the way you want, copy the stuff back from the USB drive.

When you're done with this, use the USB drive for routine backups. I got one 500G Seagate back when CompUSA was having sales, and it's been indispensable ever since.

For a more long range plan, consider multiple internal disks. A small and fast (perhaps solid state) drive as the system disk, and a couple of big drives 500G or 1T or whatever you need, running RAID-1 and used for just your data.

HTH