PDA

View Full Version : Do these types of monitors exist

darkksyde
January 31st, 2010, 10:23 AM
Hey guys,

anyone know if anyone has invented a monitor which looks kind of like a cube with 6 screens on each face and works with compiz fusion or am i just crazy

RabbitWho
January 31st, 2010, 10:46 AM
I don't see why you couldn't just put four flat screen monitors in a box and paint it.
You'd want to put it on something spiny to stop you having to move around.

SoFl W
January 31st, 2010, 10:50 AM
The screen on the bottom would be useless.

(Unless the monitor was suspended.

TuckLive
January 31st, 2010, 10:57 AM
Unless you have a really cool idea or use for this I think it would be a waste of power consumption and money. That would cost a good bit to make a box as posted earlier.

Khakilang
January 31st, 2010, 11:16 AM
Nowadays graphics card can hook up to 6 monitors why anyone want to invent it?

audiomick
January 31st, 2010, 12:49 PM
Driving the screens is certainly possible. Whether the box with a screen on each face exists is a moot point. Building it is a simple mechanical exercise.
Getting the picture on the right screen is the trick. I have seen a video on you-tube, linked from a thread here somewhere, of a workstation with six screen running compiz. He was using a setup comprising of 3 nVidia twinview screens = 6 monitors.

In the Event branch, where I do a lot of work as a sound tech, there are a number of solutions for similar things. There are programs like Pandoras Box and Watchout that can manage multiple projectors, and since the projector is nothing other than a monitor, they could just as easily drive monitors. Then there are media servers which can drive multiple heads.

So, it is definitely possible. The question is really, what would you want to do it for? Having answered that question, you can then seek the best solution.

The Toxic Mite
January 31st, 2010, 02:05 PM
Hey guys,

anyone know if anyone has invented a monitor which looks kind of like a cube with 6 screens on each face and works with compiz fusion or am i just crazy

You're crazy. ;)

underquark
January 31st, 2010, 03:02 PM
It was invented by a Hungarian called Rubik but you have to use the Smirnoff add-on for it to look like TV screens.

Kai69
January 31st, 2010, 04:05 PM
AHH but didnt Rubiks screens have 9 per side :lolflag:

RabbitWho
January 31st, 2010, 05:28 PM
Driving the screens is certainly possible. Whether the box with a screen on each face exists is a moot point. Building it is a simple mechanical exercise.
Getting the picture on the right screen is the trick. I have seen a video on you-tube, linked from a thread here somewhere, of a workstation with six screen running compiz. He was using a setup comprising of 3 nVidia twinview screens = 6 monitors.

In the Event branch, where I do a lot of work as a sound tech, there are a number of solutions for similar things. There are programs like Pandoras Box and Watchout that can manage multiple projectors, and since the projector is nothing other than a monitor, they could just as easily drive monitors. Then there are media servers which can drive multiple heads.

So, it is definitely possible. The question is really, what would you want to do it for? Having answered that question, you can then seek the best solution.

It would be cool for some kind of movie set in the future where people can float and communicated telepathically

underquark
January 31st, 2010, 10:06 PM
AHH but didnt Rubiks screens have 9 per side :lolflag:Nah, that's just pixellation.

reyfer
January 31st, 2010, 11:14 PM
Hey guys,

I second a previous post, you're just crazy

Mike'sHardLinux
January 31st, 2010, 11:19 PM
It was invented by a Hungarian called Rubik but you have to use the Smirnoff add-on for it to look like TV screens.

ahhh hahah!!! I love the Smirnoff add-on!! It is compatible with most systems I have used!!

ElSlunko
January 31st, 2010, 11:23 PM
This idea could replace disco balls.

steveneddy
February 1st, 2010, 01:08 AM
someone already has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhMErNsEoZw

SoFl W
February 5th, 2010, 02:24 AM
someone already has:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhMErNsEoZw

I think I found the same thing, different video: