PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless on HP G60 519 Ubuntu 9.10

HerNameMeansPearl
January 31st, 2010, 01:57 AM
Ok, so . . . I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my HP G60 519 and I'm having trouble with my wireless internet. I'm very new to Linux, and I tried to figure this one out on my own (I managed to get iTunes running successfully), but no luck with my wireless.

I got it to recognize my router (Belkin Wireless G, very basic), but when I connect through the router, pages come up as 'unable to find', so obviously, I'm missing something. I'm supposed to run a disc that came with the router, but no luck there.

The disc is most likely the key, but when I run it, it pulls up files from the disc, but I'm not sure what to do with them. :/ Very new. Keep in mind. Its a disc for windows or mac, but I installed wine, so I should be able to use it, right?

Help please!

Meghan

dolphinaura
January 31st, 2010, 03:05 AM
Ok, so . . . I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my HP G60 519 and I'm having trouble with my wireless internet. I'm very new to Linux, and I tried to figure this one out on my own (I managed to get iTunes running successfully), but no luck with my wireless.

I got it to recognize my router (Belkin Wireless G, very basic), but when I connect through the router, pages come up as 'unable to find', so obviously, I'm missing something. I'm supposed to run a disc that came with the router, but no luck there.

The disc is most likely the key, but when I run it, it pulls up files from the disc, but I'm not sure what to do with them. :/ Very new. Keep in mind. Its a disc for windows or mac, but I installed wine, so I should be able to use it, right?

Help please!

Meghan

So the connection's successful right?

have you tried manaually setting your computer's DNS to someting like OpenDNS?

p.s. does navigating to the address 209.85.227.99 show up anything?
if it does, its your DNS. If it doesnt, theirs a problem with your setup

p.p.s. is this your first time using the router? routers need to be setup before they can conenct to the internet.

dolphinaura
January 31st, 2010, 03:11 AM
<snip>

<snip>

no, because changing the network settings in WINE does not affect the network settings in ubuntu

HerNameMeansPearl
February 3rd, 2010, 06:19 AM
It's not the router or the disc as i originally thought, because my neighbor can connect to my internet on her windows laptop, and she never ran the disc. When I click on my network options, it shows wireless as disabled, until just yesterday, it wouldn't even let me connect wired :/ but I shut down my laptop for a few hours and when it came up, I could. Now the only problem is my wireless is showing disabled.