PDA

View Full Version : Linux made me smile today...

JoeWheeler
January 31st, 2010, 01:27 AM
I work in a newsagents and we've recently had new tills installed, this meant my boss couldn't find a socket for the radio. So she had to find an extension cord, unplug the lottery machine and then use the extension cord with both the lottery terminal and radio. anyway after she's done someone asks me for a lottery ticket and the lottery machines still booting up and who should i see sitting there staring at me but my friend the good ol linux penguin... made me smile in an otherwise very dull day:D

Kai69
January 31st, 2010, 01:54 AM
Nice its amazing what runs on linux these days :guitar:

judge jankum
January 31st, 2010, 02:13 AM
ALL my stuff runs on the penguin now lol...

k64
January 31st, 2010, 02:28 AM
As far as I'm concerned, I have some hardware (iPods, anyone?) that doesn't work that well with Linux. However, I still am able to record music on Linux (with Audacity).

Primefalcon
January 31st, 2010, 02:34 AM
As far as I'm concerned, I have some hardware (iPods, anyone?) that doesn't work that well with Linux. However, I still am able to record music on Linux (with Audacity).
I have an Ipod and rhythmbox works well with it

n0dix
January 31st, 2010, 05:35 AM
I have an Ipod and rhythmbox works well with it

Same here. Not big deal with the iPod.

Roasted
January 31st, 2010, 06:17 AM
Gotta love it. Linux is everywhere, it's really incredible.

I hear a lot of Plasma and LCD tvs use a small variant of a Linux-like OS to run through their navigation on their on screen displays.

There's also a Linux distro entirely dedicated to POS systems for stores.

I use FOG (Linux based open source cloning application) at work, which helped me and the tech department to image 1,700 machines in a few short weeks with no cost besides the hardware we ran FOG on, which was my existing work laptop. Likewise, I also found out the FOG developers also made a cafeteria POS system designed for school cafeteria's.

Damn. I love it. It's everywhere. Linux - It's like... a happy disease.