PDA

View Full Version : iPad iShmad!

fela
January 31st, 2010, 12:21 AM
Don't you think that the new iPad is pretty much a waste of space? Looks like a giant iPod touch to me, with a few extra gadgets and an obscure CPU unlike any other in existence...

A bit like a mirror except you get quite alot of bad luck when you drop it. You suddenly realize what a sucker you are and that you should get someone else to manage your money! LOL!

tell me what you think of the iPad please.

PS. When I first read about it I thought it was one of those hoax apple products that people put up on youtube! :lol:

ninjapirate89
January 31st, 2010, 12:24 AM
I agree. Just a big ipod touch. Complete waste of money and space.

Xbehave
January 31st, 2010, 12:27 AM
It's a cripled tocuhscreen, tablet, thingy, there are many others (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8750428&postcount=3) that are less crippled, but if you like DRM and see a need for such devices (too big to fit in your pocket, too small for real work) then go for it.

ticopelp
January 31st, 2010, 01:01 AM
I think the iPad is a piece of consumer electronics, which people are free to buy, or not, according to their individual tastes.

I have no use for one, but if someone gets utility out of the iPad, good for them.

fela
January 31st, 2010, 01:02 AM
I think the iPad is a piece of consumer electronics, which people are free to buy, or not, according to their individual tastes.

I have no use for one, but if someone gets utility out of the iPad, good for them.

Yes but there is a limit to what's worth making and what is pure...well, what shouldn't be made!

bashveank
January 31st, 2010, 01:02 AM
Couldn't this have gone in one of the many iPad threads?
Anyway, I think it's pretty cool for only $500.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 31st, 2010, 01:05 AM
Hitler responds to the iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4)

ticopelp
January 31st, 2010, 01:07 AM
Yes but there is a limit to what's worth making and what is pure...well, what shouldn't be made!

Not really. It's a consumer gadget, not an atomic bomb. Apple is a company that makes and sells consumer goods for profit... that's the "should."

Unless you buy one, I don't see how the existence of the iPad affects your life in any way.

Xbehave
January 31st, 2010, 01:14 AM
Only $500? In that case i have a rock to sell you, similar devices are much cheaper.

fela
January 31st, 2010, 01:17 AM
Not really. It's a consumer gadget, not an atomic bomb. Apple is a company that makes and sells consumer goods for profit... that's the "should."

Unless you buy one, I don't see how the existence of the iPad affects your life in any way.

It affects my life by contributing to the growing heap of crap that the market seems to be selling these days! It affects my life by contributing to climate change for no good reason...it affects my life in alot of ways really.

Couldn't this have gone in one of the many iPad threads?

This is one of the many iPad threads ;)

Umm, there isn't really an 'only' about $500 (or pounds if you live where I live).

BTW @the hitler vid, LOL! Although hitler jokes are a bit old now! :lol:

gletob
January 31st, 2010, 01:20 AM
Don't you think that the new iPad is pretty much a waste of space? Looks like a giant iPod touch to me, with a few extra gadgets and an obscure CPU unlike any other in existence...

A bit like a mirror except you get quite alot of bad luck when you drop it. You suddenly realize what a sucker you are and that you should get someone else to manage your money! LOL!

PS. When I first read about it I thought it was one of those hoax apple products that people put up on youtube! :lol:

I think I'd rather have a real tablet computer, with a real os wheter it be Windows, Linux, or OS X.

But, for the CPU it's not really that obscure. It's an Apple A4 SystemOnChip.

It essentially contains an arm processor and GPU manufactured by Apple (PA Semi).

ticopelp
January 31st, 2010, 01:21 AM
It affects my life by contributing to the growing heap of crap that the market seems to be selling these days! It affects my life by contributing to climate change for no good reason...it affects my life in alot of ways really.

Really? Of all the things in this world that contribute to climate change, you're concerned about some Apple products?

Given the original post, which was mostly concerned with how much smarter you are than people who want an iPad, I really doubt that's why you "care."

Anyway, my answer is, I don't care about the iPad one way or another. In a couple of years it'll be outdated and get replaced by something other gadget for people to generate false outrage about.

Zoot7
January 31st, 2010, 01:24 AM
Hitler responds to the iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4)
Haha, I think the best one of those videos was the Vista-XP one.

Only $500? In that case i have a rock to sell you, similar devices are much cheaper.
500 is an awful lot considering its capabilities. Here's an article I found today suggesting a ~50% profit margin for Apple with this. It's a lot, but then again it is Apple, it's to be expected really.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9150045/Apple_makes_208_on_each_499_iPad

lol there's no reason it should impinge upon you at all. ;)

bashveank
January 31st, 2010, 01:27 AM
This is one of the many iPad threads ;)

Umm, there isn't really an 'only' about $500 (or pounds if you live where I live).

Well, good for you than, I guess.

It is only $500. I would have expected to pay much more for a device with a gorgeous screen, amazing product design, and a marketplace full of amazingly polished, cheap or free applications.

bashveank
January 31st, 2010, 01:28 AM

Similar devices have terrible battery life, a terrible design, and usually, insanely frustrating touch support.

bashveank
January 31st, 2010, 01:30 AM
500 is an awful lot considering its capabilities. Here's an article I found today suggesting a ~50% profit margin for Apple with this. It's a lot, but then again it is Apple, it's to be expected really.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9150045/Apple_makes_208_on_each_499_iPad

I like how they didn't take R&D or tech support into consideration at all.

Xbehave
January 31st, 2010, 01:38 AM
Similar devices have terrible battery life, a terrible design, and usually, insanely frustrating touch support.
touchpad costs half that and has 5hrs, others probably cost more but have similar battery life, 10hrs aint that impressive for an ARM device, it's only about 12000 mAh (e.g one pack of these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4xUltraFire-3-7V-3000mah-18650-Protected-Li-ion-Battery_W0QQitemZ170347784967QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM?hash=item27a984e b07))

Drawing a picture of an ipod touch and scaling it up a few sizes hardly counts as R&D (an area apple are notoriously stingy on)

fela
January 31st, 2010, 01:52 AM
Really? Of all the things in this world that contribute to climate change, you're concerned about some Apple products?

Given the original post, which was mostly concerned with how much smarter you are than people who want an iPad, I really doubt that's why you "care."

I'm concerned with anything that will cause harm to the planet or any other insanely important device (geek term :lol:). Of course there are many other things that are way way worse than the iPad but that doesn't mean that it's alright to create the piece of useless junk.

Anyway, my answer is, I don't care about the iPad one way or another. In a couple of years it'll be outdated and get replaced by something other gadget for people to generate false outrage about.

Yeah, true on the first point, although I disagree that the outrage is false - the iPad really does seem (to me) like the worst apple product since the Macbook Air! And the Macbook Air is worse of a failure than pre-SP1 Vista IMO!

Zoot7
January 31st, 2010, 01:53 AM
Well, Apple do have a reputation of charging a good bit more than the widely accepted reasonable amount in all of their product lines.
And also didn't the iPhone start at a similar asking price when it first came out?

baddog144
January 31st, 2010, 01:59 AM
It's a neat little device, which would be very neat for web browsing, email, video, and ebooks. I'm not really seeing where all the hate is coming from. I won't be getting one, because I won't have $600 to spend when it hits shores here. But I certainly wouldn't mind having one.

fela
January 31st, 2010, 02:02 AM
It's a neat little device, which would be very neat for web browsing, email, video, and ebooks. I'm not really seeing where all the hate is coming from. I won't be getting one, because I won't have $600 to spend when it hits shores here. But I certainly wouldn't mind having one.

The hate's coming from the people who know that there are devices that are on par if not superior with the iPad - e.g. netbooks, google android phone or whatever it's called, etc etc etc.

$499 when you think about it, is a rip off just like all other Apple consumer products (stress the word consumer btw, the Mac Pros aren't expensive for what they are).

pwnst*r
January 31st, 2010, 02:09 AM

Try searching next time.

JDShu
January 31st, 2010, 02:10 AM
I also personally cannot think of many ways to use an iPad.

However there are two that might be good:

1. Give it to somebody unfamiliar with technology. The iPad is very intuitive, and if you have a wireless network in your house, then anybody would be able to pick it up, turn it on, and browse the web/watch movies whatever.

2. Long waits where there is a wireless networks. Rare now, but this case could become more common in the future. I commute by train for an hour and a half. The train happens to have wifi. Normal laptops are bulky and netbook screens are tiny. An iPad would be a comfortable way to pass the time in this situation.

fela
January 31st, 2010, 02:10 AM
Try searching next time.

Can we all manage to not be obnoxious for once?

pwnst*r
January 31st, 2010, 02:11 AM
Can we all manage to not be obnoxious for once?

You mean like another iPad hate thread? Why start another?

KiwiNZ
January 31st, 2010, 02:12 AM
We have a number of these . Thread closed